Kenyan athlete dies in road accident
Kenyan international athlete Kenneth Muriithi Njiru on Tuesday evening died on the spot after his vehicle was involved in an accident along Nyeri-Nyahururu road.
The Kenya Defence Forces athlete was heading towards Nyahururu Town when his saloon car collided head on with a Toyota land cruiser ferrying tourists towards Nyeri.
Three tourists were injured and admitted at Nyahururu County Referral Hospital.
They are of Russian origin.
The athlete represented Kenya in 2018’s 3000 steeplechase at the 21st Africa senior athletics championships in Asaba, Nigeria
Nyandarua North police boss Timon Odingo said that the athlete officer lost control of his car when he reached Equator area and his car rammed into the land cruiser.
"The athlete’s vehicle lost control and drove towards the wrong direction. The driver of the tourist vehicle tried to divert but they collided head on," said Odingo.
He noted that the officer died on the spot while the tourists were later taken to hospital.
Investigations into the accident have been launched, he noted.
The body of the deceased was moved to Nyahururu County Referral Hospital.
- Inter Milan: PSG sign Icardi on permanent deal Football 20 hours ago
- Musa Masika ready to step out of elder brother Ayub Timbe’s shadowFootball 6 hours ago
- Havertz fires Leverkusen third with Freiburg winnerFootball 1 day ago
- Top Man United target leaves fans guessing about next club with cyptic tweetFootball 26 minutes ago
- The five Frenchmen of Bayern MunichFootball 21 hours ago
- La Liga Clubs To Resume Full Training Next WeekFootball 13 hours ago
- Bayern players accept salary cutFootball 1 day ago