Takumi Minamino set for Liverpool medical ahead of £7.25m transfer to Anfield
Takumi Minamino is set to undergo a medical at Liverpool on Wednesday ahead of his January move to Anfield.
The Reds will complete the signing of Red Bull Salzburg star Minamino in a cut-price £7.25m deal when the transfer window opens.
Minamino has a release clause in his Salzburg contract that allows him to leave for well below his market value of £25-30m.
He is expected at Melwood on Wednesday to undergo a medical and barring any late hitches, will then officially become a Liverpool player on January 1.
That would mean the Japan star could then make his debut for the club in the Merseyside derby against Everton in the FA Cup.
Minamino is honoured that Liverpool are keen on him and will now discuss personal terms over a move to Merseyside.
Jurgen Klopp sees Minamino as someone who will get plenty of Premier League action in the second half of the season as his side look to challenge for domestic and European honours.
Liverpool have been tracking Minamino, 24, for the past two years and have been in friendly talks with Salzburg for the past six weeks.
They moved swiftly following their win over Salzburg in the Champions League last week, which knocked the Austrian side out.
Liverpool stole a march on Manchester United because they were aware of his contract clause, which their Old Trafford rivals were oblivious to.
Minamino has scored 11 goals in 22 games for his country, and five in his last four World Cup qualifying games.
- Chinese football transfer market collapses in face of coronavirusFootball 1 day ago
- Why hockey star Nyongesa admires Real captain RamosHockey 15 hours ago
- First professional football player diagnosed with coronavirus Football 1 day ago
- Bundesliga kicks off youth training program in KenyaFootball 22 hours ago
- Amira take on rookies Oranje in league tieHockey 15 hours ago
- Shujaa to trample on anyone who gets in their wayRugby 1 day ago
- Lukaku takes Inter to the round of 16 in an empty stadiumFootball 1 day ago