Rugby: KCB, Homeboyz close in on league leaders Kabras
The race for top spot in the Kenya Cup was blown wide open after league leaders Kabras Sugar suffered their first loss of the campaign, going down to Homeboyz in Nairobi at the weekend.
The 20-17 defeat at the Impala Club saw defending champions KCB cut Kabras’ lead cut to one point.
Hosts KCB defeated Impala Saracens at Ruaraka backyard to take their points tally to 34, one better than Homeboyz, who are third.
With eight rounds of fixtures remaining in the regular season, the chasing pack will certainly feel they have a realistic chance of displacing the Kakamega-based side ahead of the playoffs slated for next year.
The best two teams at the conclusion of the regular season will receive a bye to the semi finals, while the the third to sixth-place finishers will battle for the remaining two slots.
The side that tops the standings will be granted the opportunity to host the final, if they go all the way.
“We always plan for a win but on the match day, it’s usually the team which takes its chances that wins. It could have been easy to write off Impala but they came to play,” KCB assistant coach Denis Mwanja said after their 15-5 win against Impala.
“Every team in the top six is a worthy opponent. Kabras were riding high but somehow, Homeboyz had an answer for them so there is no guarantee of winning. We just need to take a game at a time but we shall readjust our game plan when we reach the playoffs,” added Mwanja.
After suffering a 15-5 loss away to Western Bulls, their second defeat in succession, Mwamba were dislodged from fifth position by Menengai Oilers who put up a solid display to thrash struggling Kisumu RFC 53-18.
Kisumu, who were promoted back to the top tier this season after spending four editions in the Kenya Rugby Union Championship, occupy one of the two relegation slots together with Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad, who lost 36-18 to Nakuru.
- Five biggest mistakes Barcelona made with Coutinho transfer [PHOTOS]Football 2 days ago
- Deontay Wilder says his huge ring walk costume contributed to his defeatBoxing 2 days ago
- Antoine Griezmann goal rescues Barcelona at NapoliFootball 1 day ago
- Ramogi falls short of making Olympic Games teamBoxing 17 hours ago
- Footballer in Italy has been diagnosed with coronavirusFootball 1 hour ago
- CAF bars Zimbabwe from hosting international matchesFootball 1 day ago
- Russian tennis star Sharapova retiresTennis 1 day ago