Stakes high ahead of City Stars, Black Stars match
There will be a lot at stake as National Super League leaders Nairobi City Stars renew their rivalry with Kibera Black Stars in the first leg of the Kawangware-Kibera derby, at Camp Toyoyo Stadium, Jericho, today (3pm).
Save for the bragging rights and the three points, the two sides will battle for the Jonathan Jackson Foundation Jamii Cup that will come with Sh30,000 in prize money.
The winners of the match will walk away with Sh20,000 as the losers pocket Sh10,000.
The two rivals go into the match in contrasting form separated by 30 points.
While City Stars will be aiming to increase their points tally to 46 as they seek to get promoted back to the Kenyan Premier League, the 16th placed Black Stars will be looking to move further away from the relegation zone.
JFF Chief Executive Officer Musalia Mwenesi said they have introduced a derby cup as a way of attracting fans to the match.
“JJF Jamii Cup aimed at raising the competitiveness of both sides as a Nairobi City Stars and Kibera Black Stars is a derby in its own right,” said Mwenesi.
“Apart from the cash prize for the two teams, the best player on either side will receive a pair of football boots.”
The derby will be preceded by an early kick-off (1 pm) game between Ushuru and Kenya Police at the same venue.
Mbaraki Sports Club will also host another derby today between second-placed Nairobi Stima and Coast Stima.
In other matches today, Bidco United entertain Fortune Sacco in Thika as on-form Migori United welcome Vihiga Bullets at Awendo Stadium.
- Cherono to lead Boston Marathon line upAthletics 2 days ago
- Nakuru RFC seek revenge against Oilers in league tieRugby 1 day ago
- PSG star linked with move to Old Trafford but Utd are wary of repeating mistakes made with SanchezFootball 2 days ago
- Athletics Championships: Sports CS inspects World U-20 facilities at KUSports 1 day ago
- Man United boss Solskjaer favourite to be sacked next Gossip & Rumours 3 days ago
- PHOTOS: KDF Cross Country meet in ThikaAthletics 14 hours ago
- Kenya Sevens face challenging task in Hamilton legRugby 2 days ago