Boxing: Zarika to face Bulgarian Ivanova in Nairobi
Former World Boxing Council super-bantamweight champion Fatuma Zarika will fight Bulgarian Ilvanka Ivanova in a-non-title-fight on December 13 at Charter Hall, Nairobi.
This will be a great moment for Zarika as she seeks to stay in shape ahead of the rematch against WBC super-bantamweight champion Mexican Yamileth Mercado in March next year.
In their bout last month in Chihuahua, Mercado beat Zarika on unanimous points decision in all the three rounds.
Initially, Kenya Professional Boxing Commission (KPBC) secretary general Franklin Imbenzi had said Zarika would fight either Ivanova or Serbian Sarah Murianovic in an eight-round match.
“The match will assist the Zarika gauge her skills before the rematch as we are preparing her to win back the belt from Mercado,” Imbenzi said.
The non-title fight is being organized by Zaks and Solid Rocks Promotions.
Yesterday, Zarika exuded confidence saying she’s preparing to face Mercado in their rematch.
“Nitampiga sawasawa tikikutana msimu ujao. Atashangaa wakati huu (I will defeat her (Mercado) once we meet in our next match next season. It will be tough for her),” she told Standard Sports.
Meanwhile, Africa Boxing Union middleweight champion Rayton Okwiri will defend his title against Enock Musambuzi of Zimbabwe as a curtain raiser to the non-title fight on December 13.
Okwiri boasts a record of five wins and one draw.
- Harry Maguire to take charge right away after Young's departure Football 2 days ago
- Top rugby player forced to abandon career after serious spinal injuryRugby 2 days ago
- Bruno Fernandes future is 'still unclear' amid Man United linksGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Toothless Atletico beaten at tiny EibarFootball 2 days ago
- Tottenham escape routes continue to elude WanyamaFootball 1 day ago
- The ugly side of Kenya Morans’ history-making feat at Nyayo gymnasium [Photos]Basketball 1 day ago
- Five women to watch at the Australian Open [Photos] Tennis 1 day ago