KCB school Blak Blad to reach Floodlit semi-finals
KCB remained on course for a third successive Floodlit title after beating Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad 53-15 in the quarter-finals at the Impala Club yesterday.
Oliver Mang’eni and Martin Owilah both scored two tries as the bankers, who are chasing an eighth Floodlit title, made light work of the Michael Otieno-coached Blak Blad to reach next weekend’s semi-final.
“We had not played in a long time and that was evident especially in the first half and we were also trying a new game plan. I am glad we eventually settled in the second half,” KCB captain Rocky Aguko said.
“Our carries were a bit poor in the first half but that changed after the halftime talk,” said Aguko, who was handed captaincy duties in the absence of Curtis Lilako.
In their win over Blak Blad, KCB opened the scoring through Martin Owila, who was marking his return after missing the entire 2018-19 Kenya Cup season. The resultant conversion by Stephen Osumba was unsuccessful as the bankers held a 5-0 lead.
The reigning Floodlit champions then won a penalty deep inside Blak Blad’s territory before opting to kick the ball into touch and from the ensuing line out, Nelson Nyandat dived over the whitewash for a try which was converted.
Lionel Ajeliti reduced the deficit for Blak Blad with a penalty kick before their defensive weaknesses were exploited yet again with Owilah sealing his brace before Osumba added the extras to give KCB a 19-3 cushion.
Winger Archadius Kwesa delivered the first try for the students, showing great skill to beat a number of KCB players for pace before diving over for a try which was converted by Ajeliti.
KCB responded with a five-pointer pointer on the stroke of half-time which ensured they led 24-10 at the interval.
- Looking at this latest EPL table, do you think Man Utd can displace Arsenal?Football 2 days ago
- Arsenal beaten by Leicester Football 2 days ago
- Rugby: Mwamba return to winning ways as Kabras floor ImpalaRugby 2 days ago
- KPL: Tusker, Ulinzi Stars draw as All Stars fish out SharksFootball 2 days ago
- Basketball: Champs Equity Hawks claw Tangit Sparks in play-off tieBasketball 2 days ago
- Hockey: Lakers hit JKUAT at City ParkHockey 2 days ago
- How Gor Mahia left rivals AFC Leopards sleeping in the denFootball 2 days ago