KPL: All Stars’ Omino upbeat despite financial challenges
Kisumu All-Stars head coach Henry Omino is confident his team will bounce back to winning ways saying it is still early to brand them relegation candidates.
Last season's Kenyan Premier League (KPL) top scorer Enosh Ochieng converted two quick goals in a space of five second-half minutes to give Ulinzi Stars a comfortable cushion in the opening match of the 2019-20 KPL season in Kisumu.
Omino says he knows he has a tough task ahead but has vowed not to give up despite losing their home match on return to the top league.
“We can’t lie down and say we are not meant for this. We have to learn from the loss. But it was a reality check on our level where the boys should know they are no longer in the Super League and will be facing very good teams,” he said.
In addition to that, Omino urged his players to be patient despite the club facing financial challenges with only one week into the new KPL season.
The Blue Eagles signed 13 new signings, who have been forced to play in jerseys with other players' names as the club does not have money to buy new ones.
In a club statement circulated yesterday, Kisumu All Stars CEO Nicholas Ochieng said they are waiting for budget approval from their sponsors, the County Government of Kisumu.
“Budgets have not been approved yet in Kisumu. Until that is resolved at the national level we must be patient and wait. The most important thing is to support our boys,” Ochieng said.
“Our players should know we support them and the new jerseys will be here once the county releases the funds.”
The county had allocated Sh1 million for the club which has since been revised to an unknown amount in the recently approved Sh10.2 billion budget for the 2019/2020 financial year.
- Coronavirus: Liverpool-Atletico match linked to '41 more deaths'Football 1 day ago
- Ramsdale second Premier League star to share shock at positive coronavirus testPremier League 4 hours ago
- Football’s greatest heists: How Liverpool beat Milan in IstanbulFootball 20 hours ago
- Why I decided to join Arsenal over Man United – FabregasFootball 2 days ago
- Top golfer's trouser splits during match, suffers wardrobe malfunction [Photos]Golf 1 day ago
- Revealed: How Inter Milan tried to sign Messi before his first Ballon d'OrFootball 1 day ago
- Bournemouth player tests positive for COVID-19Premier League 2 days ago