AFC Leopards’ hunger for victory goes on
Kakamega Homeboyz began their season a high after defeating giants AFC Leopards 1-0 in a Kenya Premier League (KPL) encounter at Bhukungu Stadium, in Kakamega yesterday.
Stephen Etyang’s goal in the 85th minutes was enough to hand head coach Nicholas Muyoti his first win of the 2019-20 KPL season.
Homeboyz coach Muyoti hailed his charges for not giving up despite the visitors dominating most of the first half.
“It was hard work and the players showed incredible concentration on the tactics we were trying to employ during the match. We defended well and held their strikers at bay because we did not want to concede in the opening half,” Muyoti said after the match.
“It was a long afternoon and we had to accept our talented opponents would have more of the ball than us. We had to make sure they did not play well where they would punish us. It was a great victory.”
AFC Leopards coach Cassa Mbungo, however, rued missed chances from his boys that led to the loss.
“The first half was perfect. It was difficult to repeat the same in the second half, because we knew the opponent would try a different reaction. We didn’t take our chances and they punished us later on. We must learn from that,” he said.
Homeboyz joined Posta Rangers, Ulinzi Stars, KCB and defending champions Gor Mahia as the only six teams to win their opening matches over the weekend.
In Kericho, Zoo thumped visiting Chemelil Sugar 3-1 at Green Stadium.
Kepha Ondati opened the scoring in the 56th minute after a barren first half that saw both sides waste clear goal-scoring chances.
Derrick Anami doubled the hosts’ lead with a well struck goal in the 72th minute after Ondati beat two Chemelil defenders.
The visitors tried to initiate a dramatic comeback with Athman Moyo pulling a goal back four minutes later but it was Newton Ondari’s shot in the 80th minute that put the game to bed.
Zoo head coach Haman Iswekha said they have set high targets after recording his first win of the new season.
“A tight match against a very good Chemelil side but I am happy we pulled through after a tricky and dry first half to win by a good margin,” he said.
- Mario Balotelli's own fans release statement backing racist supporters Football 2 days ago
- Kenya 7s team beat Uganda in Africa Men’s Rugby final to qualify for 2020 Olympic Games in TokyoRugby 2 days ago
- Chelsea go second with a 2-0 win over Crystal PalaceFootball 2 days ago
- Boxer dies after a freak accident in trainingBoxing 2 days ago
- Tottenham 1 – 1 Sheffield Utd: Spluttering Spurs held at home by Sheffield UnitedFootball 2 days ago
- Looking at this latest EPL table, do you think Man Utd can displace Arsenal?Football 2 days ago
- Arsenal beaten by Leicester Football 2 days ago