Wayne Rooney holds Derby County talks with further discussions planned
Wayne Rooney has held talks with Derby County about making a sensational return to English football.
Former England captain Rooney, 33, is interested in a coaching role as a first step into a career in management and there has been interest from Derby.
Rooney has a year left on his contract with DC United in Major League Soccer and has been a big success in the United States but also has an eye on his next career step.
Derby appointed Philip Cocu with the ex-Dutch international the high-profile manager they wanted to succeed Frank Lampard after his departure to Chelsea.
But Derby owner Mel Morris also wanted to follow the Lampard template again and that is why Rooney is an attractive option for the Championship club.
Rooney is England’s all time record goalscorer with 53 goals in 120 appearances and won five Premier League titles and the Champions League during a glittering career with Manchester United.
But Rooney has spoken openly about his desire to move into coaching and even confirmed recently there had been approaches from English and clubs in the States.
There have been exploratory talks between Rooney and his advisers with Derby planning more discussions.
It is unclear what would happen with Rooney and DC United with potential negotiations at an early stage. Rooney left Everton for DC United in 2018.
But MLS clubs have been reluctant to loan players back to Europe in recent seasons as they did frequently in the past with the likes of David Beckham and Thierry Henry.
“It would be an incredible move,” said former Rams boss Gary Rowett. “I’m not sure how true those rumours are, but certainly the impact Frank had at the club – not just managerial perspective but also from a commercial perspective.
“Sometimes these figures are massively important for the club. I think externally that would be an attractive proposition for Derby to bring to the table, but ultimately he (Rooney) will have to still do it on the pitch.
- Players' union wants matches postponed in extreme heatFootball 1 day ago
- Barcelona predict billion euro income this seasonFootball 2 days ago
- Wambui and Kageha out of Kenya team to world meetAthletics 1 day ago
- Barcelona starlet Fati granted Spanish citizenshipFootball 1 day ago
- Volleyball: Bitok says his team did not play well against ArgentinaVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- FKF announces dates for electionsFootball 2 days ago
- Senate Speaker Lusaka to flag off Kitui Avena Half MarathonAthletics 1 day ago