How Man Utd or Tottenham could land Gareth Bale for free this summer
Real Madrid are reportedly weighing up the idea of letting Gareth Bale leave the club on a FREE transfer this summer.
The 29-year-old's time at the Spanish giants looks to be up, with manager Zinedine Zidane keen to offload him to make room in his squad.
Bale has no shortage of interested suitors, but most have been put off by the cost of a potential deal.
Madrid are currently paying the Welshman a huge £13 million a year salary.
And the Times report they co uld now be prepared to let him leave the club for nothing, just to get him off the wage bill.
That has made former club Tottenham and Man Utd stand to attention, with both clubs said to be considering a move for the forward.
United have been long-term admirers of Bale, but have not been able to prise him away from the Los Blancos in recent seasons.
Bale is now more open to a switch however, after a difficult couple of seasons with Madrid.
Despite winning four Champions League titles with the club - including scoring two in last year's final against Liverpool - Bale is not a popular figure in Madrid.
He has found first-team chances hard to come by this season, and has even been booed by his own fans on more than one occasion.
His cause has not been helped by the return of Zidane as manager, who is known not to be one of Bale's biggest supporters.
United could be scuppered by interest from Spurs however, where Bale spent six successful seasons from 2007-2013.
Former Spurs teammate Peter Crouch told the Express that a move back to White Hart Lane would make sense.
"Gareth Bale's position at Real Madrid continues to confuse me and the misuse of such a talented player is ridiculous," said Crouch.
"But if he is not going to be used regularly next season, I would love to see him return to Spurs.
"He keeps being linked to Manchester United but I just don't see that club suiting him at the minute.”
- Touchdown Forte win Autumn championshipsSports 2 days ago
- Scotland in the slow lane as World Cup hopes dashed by JapanRugby 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge nominated for prestigious global awardAthletics 2 days ago
- Bulgaria PM urges football chief to resign after England match racismFootball 1 day ago
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 13 hours ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 13 hours ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 13 hours ago