Roberto Firmino injury update with Liverpool star winning Champions League final battle
Liverpool forward Roberto Firmino has stepped up his rehab as he wins his fight to be fit for the Champions League final.
The Brazilian missed four of the Reds’ final five games of the season, due to a thigh tear.
Firmino, named in Brazil’s Copa America squad this week, picked up the injury prior to the 5-0 thrashing of Huddersfield on April 26.
He played through the pain and managed 12 minutes in the semi-final first leg loss to Barcelona, but struggled and hasn’t featured since.
His recovery has been carefully monitored, and he duly travelled with the squad for a training camp in Marbella this week.
There he has been working intensely with with Liverpool's strength and rehabilitation assistant David Ridings and also physio Sven Kampmann.
He has stepped up his work in the gym and has also been increasing his range of movement, with short, sharp sprints, on the training field.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp remains confident that Firmino will be fit to face Tottenham in the final in Madrid on June 1.
Speaking after the final day of the Premier League season, Klopp said of his No.9: “We have time before the final and that should be enough."
Ahead of the final, Liverpool have warned any supporters found selling Champions League final tickets through secondary ticketing sites face being banned from attending matches at Anfield.
Demand for tickets has outstripped the club’s UEFA allocation considerably.
Thousands of supporters who applied for a seat were left disappointed on Thursday as the results of the ballot were announced.
- LEAKED: Chelsea players to part with Sh2.6 million if they miss trainingFootball 2 days ago
- Arsenal decide Unai Emery’s fateFootball 2 days ago
- Age is just a number! Footballers in happy relationships with way older girlfriends [PHOTOS]Football 2 days ago
- AFCON: How Salah has increased Kenya’s chances of beating Egypt Football 2 days ago
- Sacked, shunned and suicidal - the Cameroon sports stars battling anti-gay lawsFootball 2 days ago
- VIDEO: Sterling and Gomez train together following England bust-up Football 2 days ago
- Mauricio Pochettino 'could be sacked next week'Premier League 2 days ago