Volleyball: Epoloto confident ahead of qualifiers
Kenya men’s volleyball team head coach Moses Epoloto is pleased with the confidence and progress of his new call ups in training ahead of June 5-10 CAVB Zone V All Africa Games qualifiers at Kasarani Gymnasium.
The quartet of KPA left attacker Enock Mogeni, Administration Police’s Nick Kimutai, Kelvin Omuse and James Mutero (both Equity Bank) have been impressive in training that kicked off at Kasarani on Wednesday.
The six-day qualifying tournament is expected to bring together eight teams with the overall winners securing a ticket to the upcoming All African Games in Morocco in August.
Kenya, who finished third in their last 2011 AAG in Maputo, Mozambique, will face stiff competition from the likes of Egypt, Rwanda and Uganda as they seek to defend their regional title they lifted in Kigali two years ago.
But with the emergence of the new faces in the team and Epoloto keen to return to the continental showpiece, the former General Service Unit coach has warned the regulars that no one is guaranteed a place in the team.
“We have just started our training, but so far I’m pleased with the players’ attitude. They are adapting well and the impressive thing is that you can’t differentiate between the regulars and newcomers,” said Epoloto.
“The new players are coping up well and from their performance in training, they are ready to challenge the regulars.
"That is the type of competition I want to see in the team. As we speak, no player is guaranteed a place in the team, they have to earn it.”
Epoloto is expected to have a full-house in training on Monday after the doctors gave the recovering GSU trio of Abiud Kipkirui, Noah Bett and Cornelius Kiplagat a clean bill of health.
“I am pleased to confirm that all the injured players will back to training on Monday. That’s a big boost to the team as we aim to defend our title,” said Epoloto.
“Expectations are high and we don’t want to let down our fans at home. It’s been long since we last participated in the All Africa Games, but I believe this is our chance.”
- Brilliant Messi seals another La Liga title for BarcelonaFootball 1 month ago
- Why Liverpool fans are angry with Klopp's tactical change after Messi goalFootball 1 month ago
- Athletics: Obiri, Cheruiyot headline Doha meetAthletics 1 month ago
- Olunga: We are very ready for AFCONFootball 13 hours ago
- Touch of class: Arsenal star Mesut Ozil rewards Kenyan boy for second timeFootball 1 month ago
- Tottenham 4-0 Huddersfield: Lucas Moura hat-trick keeps top-four dream aliveFootball 2 months ago
- Chelsea star’s home raided, valuables worth millions stolenFootball 1 week ago