Volleyball: Epoloto confident ahead of qualifiers
Kenya men’s volleyball team head coach Moses Epoloto is pleased with the confidence and progress of his new call ups in training ahead of June 5-10 CAVB Zone V All Africa Games qualifiers at Kasarani Gymnasium.
The quartet of KPA left attacker Enock Mogeni, Administration Police’s Nick Kimutai, Kelvin Omuse and James Mutero (both Equity Bank) have been impressive in training that kicked off at Kasarani on Wednesday.
The six-day qualifying tournament is expected to bring together eight teams with the overall winners securing a ticket to the upcoming All African Games in Morocco in August.
Kenya, who finished third in their last 2011 AAG in Maputo, Mozambique, will face stiff competition from the likes of Egypt, Rwanda and Uganda as they seek to defend their regional title they lifted in Kigali two years ago.
But with the emergence of the new faces in the team and Epoloto keen to return to the continental showpiece, the former General Service Unit coach has warned the regulars that no one is guaranteed a place in the team.
“We have just started our training, but so far I’m pleased with the players’ attitude. They are adapting well and the impressive thing is that you can’t differentiate between the regulars and newcomers,” said Epoloto.
“The new players are coping up well and from their performance in training, they are ready to challenge the regulars.
"That is the type of competition I want to see in the team. As we speak, no player is guaranteed a place in the team, they have to earn it.”
Epoloto is expected to have a full-house in training on Monday after the doctors gave the recovering GSU trio of Abiud Kipkirui, Noah Bett and Cornelius Kiplagat a clean bill of health.
“I am pleased to confirm that all the injured players will back to training on Monday. That’s a big boost to the team as we aim to defend our title,” said Epoloto.
“Expectations are high and we don’t want to let down our fans at home. It’s been long since we last participated in the All Africa Games, but I believe this is our chance.”
- Uhuru leads Kenyans in mourning KadengeFootball 1 month ago
- Joe Kadenge burial billed at Sh5 millionFootball 1 month ago
- REVEALED! Why there is no SportPesa Mega JackpotFootball 2 months ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 1 month ago
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago