Kenyan junior athletes top medal table in Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Kenya gloriously wrapped up the Africa Under-18 and Under-20 outing in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, winning eleven medals on the final day of competition on Saturday.
In total, the team earned 46 medals; 19 gold, 16 silver and 11 medals after five days of the junior meet.
Watched by Cabinet Secretary for Sports Amina Mohammed and Athletics Kenya President Jackson Tuwei, Kenya started the final day of the championships with World Under-17 bronze medalist Dominic Ndigiti winning gold in men’s Under-20 walk.
Impressive Ndigiti clocked 43:27.23 to earn his second international medal.
Fresh from winning World Cross Country junior title in Aarhus, Denmark, Beatrice Chebet continued with her impressive form winning the 5000m race ahead of her fellow countrywoman Dolphine Omare, who settled for silver.
In the men’s 3000m steeplechase, World Under-18 champion Leonard Bett won gold followed by his compatriot Brian Kipkosgei taking home silver.
Kipng’etich Ngeno won the Under-20 800m while teammate Joseph Rotiken winning silver.
In the corresponding women race, Jackline Wambui won the 800m race ahead of Lydia Jeruto, who clinched silver position.
In the field event, Leshan Ita won men’s gold in javelin. Kenya also won gold in 4x400m men’s Under-20 relays.
- Barcelona starlet Fati granted Spanish citizenshipFootball 2 days ago
- Kabarak Half Marathon on tomorrowAthletics 2 days ago
- Slum Boys ready to disarm Ulinzi in MachakosFootball 2 days ago
- SportPesa: We’re waiting for betting board nod to resume full operationFootball 2 days ago
- UON Dynamites square it out with FlamesBasketball 1 day ago
- Simbas eye revenge against ZimbabweRugby 1 day ago
- Athletes set for Kabarak Half MarathonAthletics 1 day ago