Two Kenyan referees receive Afcon call up
Top Kenyan referee Davies Omweno has surprisingly been left out of the provisional list for match officials during this year’s Africa Cup of Nations finals in Egypt.
Instead, Confederation of African Football (CAF) has picked university don Peter Waweru and assistant referee Gilbert Cheruiyot in a 56-man provisional list.
Omweno’s star has been on the rise despite a three-month suspension by CAF two years ago and was expected to be picked for the three-week event that kicks off on June 21.
It is not surprising for Waweru to have been shortlisted given his performance in the local league and experience in handling high profile matches.
Cheruiyot has been quite instrumental on the local scene and was last season named the most improved assistant referee. If he makes the cut, it will be his second biggest assignment as he took part in the 2016 Africa Nations Championships (CHAN) in Rwanda.
SportPesa Premier League (SPL) head of security committee and former referee G.M.T Otieno challenged the duo to maintain integrity during the tournament.
“I wish to congratulate them but at the same time to remind them that they are representing the country and must, therefore, carry themselves with utmost integrity,” he said.
Tunisia and Egypt have the highest number of centre referees with three each while Morocco and Algeria have two. Apart from Kenya, other East African countries with centre referees selected include Burundi, Sudan and Ethiopia. Uganda and Tanzania have missed out.
Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt Senegal and Tunisia also have two assistant referees each in the provisional list.
- How much missing out on Champions League will cost Man Utd flopsPremier League 2 weeks ago
- How Man Utd or Tottenham could land Gareth Bale for free this summerFootball 6 days ago
- Estranged wife seeks help for AsbelAthletics 3 weeks ago
- Brilliant Messi seals another La Liga title for BarcelonaFootball 4 weeks ago
- Video: Racism? Valencia fan spits at arsenal hat trick hero AubameyangFootball 2 weeks ago
- Former heavyweight champion gives advice to mental health sufferers with inspirational messageBoxing 4 days ago
- Harambee Stars to face Mané, Mahrez in Afcon 2019Football 1 month ago