Kenya team off to Ivory Coast for Africa show
Africa 5,000m champion Edward Zakayo and Francis Leshoo have been included in the national team to the 14th Africa under-18 and under-20 Championships that run in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, on April 18-22.
The 45-member team that left yesterday for the west African nation included world under-20 1,500m champion George Manangoi, world cross country junior champion Beatrice Chebet and Lydia Jeruto.
Age cheating and injuries forced Athletics Kenya to drop some athletes from the team.
Dolphine Omare replaced Agnes Chebet in 5,000m, who has not recovered from injury while Bravin Kipkosgei substituted Sammy Chebolei, the winner in the national trials, who was ruled out over age cheating. Ronald Kipng’etich replaced Hillary Mosop in 3,000m steeplechase.
Omare will partner with world under-20 5,000m and world cross country champion Beatrice Chebet. Zakayo will replace Reuben Poghiso, who failed to secure a passport in time.
- Scotland in the slow lane as World Cup hopes dashed by JapanRugby 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge nominated for prestigious global awardAthletics 2 days ago
- Bulgaria PM urges football chief to resign after England match racismFootball 1 day ago
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 15 hours ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 15 hours ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 15 hours ago
- Kipchoge arrives home after running marathon in under two hoursAthletics 12 hours ago