Confusion ahead of Gor Mahiaâ€™s crunch clash against Morocco's RSB Berkane
Gor Mahia failed to travel to Morocco on Thursday for their Confederations Cup quarter-final match against RSB Berkane.
The team was turned back from the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport as they did not have tickets to board a flight.
“We were told to go to the airport where we were supposed to get our tickets and board the plane. However, when we got there, we were informed the club had not made any reservations and so we had to go back home,” a player who did not want to be named said.
He said arrangements were now being made for the team to travel in batches from last night even though that was not assured.
“Some of us have been told to be at the airport by 6pm and others at 8pm. We are not sure whether travel arrangements have been made but we are going nonetheless,” the player said.
The club has few options to try and make it to Berkane in the North of Morocco. One option the club was pursuing yesterday was to travel through Paris and arrive in the North African country today at noon.
But this option is costly. The cheaper option would be to go through Cairo then connect from the Egyptian capital in the morning to arrive at their destination in the evening.
They can also travel by Emirates and hope to arrive in Berkane tomorrow evening. Gor Mahia will definitely miss out on having a feel of the pitch which is mandatory as they are likely to arrive very late.
A number of club officials we contacted did not answer their calls. However, we understand that the club was relying on the government to purchase tickets for them but this did not come through at the last minute.
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 2 days ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 2 days ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 2 days ago
- Kipchoge arrives home after running marathon in under two hoursEliud Kipchoge 2 days ago
- Wanyama speaks about transfer Football 2 days ago
- Mental strength key to Japan's preparation for South Africa clashRugby 2 days ago
- Ireland must frustrate the hell out of All Blacks, says D'ArcyRugby 2 days ago