DP Ruto hosts World Cross Country team at his home
Deputy President William Ruto has asked the Ministry of Sports to ensure all outstanding dues for athletes are cleared within a fortnight.
Ruto said the ministry should ensure all pending cash rewards should be settled. He spoke when he hosted Kenya’s team which participated in the just concluded World Cross Country Championships in Denmark at his Karen residence in Nairobi on Thursday evening.
The DP said the outstanding allowances amounting to Sh235 million would be paid.
He said the integral role of sports in strengthening relations in the society calls for motivation of sports personalities.
Present were Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohammed, Senate Majority Leader Kipchumba Murkomen, Chairman of Parliamentary Committee on Sports Victor Munyaka, Kericho Senator Aaron Cheruiyot, MPs Dan Wanyama (Webuye East), Benjamin Washiali (Mumias East), Nixon Korir (Lang’ata) and senator Samson Cherargei (Nandi).
Others were Sports Principal Secretary Kirimi Kaberia, Sports Kenya chairman Fred Muteti, President of Athletics Kenya Jackson Tuwei, among others.
He said it had initiated Sports, Arts and Social Development Fund to cater for the needs of its sportsmen and women. Ruto said the fund would finance the development of sports.
- Tusker make light work of Wazito to go take league leadSports 23 hours ago
- Zico dedicates Harambee Stars win to suspended KimanziFootball 23 hours ago
- Tennis 101: Here’s what you need to know about the sportTennis 2 days ago
- Patrick Vieira hints he's interested in Arsenal manager's jobFootball 2 days ago
- Bayern forward Coman in knee splint after Champions League injuryFootball 19 hours ago
- Benzema could face trial over tapePremier League 1 day ago
- Lady Bucks Kisumu crowned KBF Division One championsBasketball 2 days ago