DP Ruto hosts World Cross Country team at his home
Deputy President William Ruto has asked the Ministry of Sports to ensure all outstanding dues for athletes are cleared within a fortnight.
Ruto said the ministry should ensure all pending cash rewards should be settled. He spoke when he hosted Kenya’s team which participated in the just concluded World Cross Country Championships in Denmark at his Karen residence in Nairobi on Thursday evening.
The DP said the outstanding allowances amounting to Sh235 million would be paid.
He said the integral role of sports in strengthening relations in the society calls for motivation of sports personalities.
Present were Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohammed, Senate Majority Leader Kipchumba Murkomen, Chairman of Parliamentary Committee on Sports Victor Munyaka, Kericho Senator Aaron Cheruiyot, MPs Dan Wanyama (Webuye East), Benjamin Washiali (Mumias East), Nixon Korir (Lang’ata) and senator Samson Cherargei (Nandi).
Others were Sports Principal Secretary Kirimi Kaberia, Sports Kenya chairman Fred Muteti, President of Athletics Kenya Jackson Tuwei, among others.
He said it had initiated Sports, Arts and Social Development Fund to cater for the needs of its sportsmen and women. Ruto said the fund would finance the development of sports.
- Touchdown Forte win Autumn championshipsSports 2 days ago
- Scotland in the slow lane as World Cup hopes dashed by JapanRugby 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge nominated for prestigious global awardAthletics 2 days ago
- Bulgaria PM urges football chief to resign after England match racismFootball 1 day ago
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 12 hours ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 12 hours ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 12 hours ago