Shock as plane disappears with Cardiff record signing on board
A light plane with Cardiff City new signing Emiliano Sala is said to have disappeared off the radar while travelling from France to the Welsh Capital.
"The plane set off from Nantes-Atlantique airport towards 8 pm on Monday. There were two passengers on board, and it was heading for Cardiff, but never arrived. Two helicopters are searching for the Piper,” said a source.
Air traffic controllers lost contact with the plane at 8:30 pm while it got close to the Casquets lighthouse on Alderney, Channel Islands.
Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman expressed concerns over Sala’s safety.
“We are very concerned by the latest news that a light aircraft lost contact over the Channel last night. We are awaiting confirmation before we can say anything further. We are very concerned for the safety of Emiliano Sala,” said Dalman.
Emiliano Sala last week completed a 15 million euro move to Cardiff from French outfit Nantes – a record amount ever spent by the club on a single player.
Search operations for the lost plane are underway.
- No Love lost: See how hot couples lit up Mashemeji derby [Photos]Football 4 days ago
- Ozil risks Arsenal fans’ fury with what he did at half-time of Manchester City defeatFootball 2 weeks ago
- Brothers to Premier League duo Rashford and Arnold attacked at gunpointPremier League 1 month ago
- Arsene Wenger set for return to football with four offers on the tableFootball 1 week ago
- Liverpool striker facing lengthy ban after reports that he placed a bet Football 2 months ago
- Southampton fans mock Emiliano Sala death with aeroplane gesturesFootball 1 week ago
- Mourinho rejects opportunity to become top club managerFootball 1 month ago