Nakuru RFC target fine start against Homeboyz
Nakuru RFC want to take advantage of a depleted Homeboyz side when the teams face off in the Impala Floodlit quarter finals tomorrow afternoon.
Homeboyz head to the encounter without quartet of Alvin Otieno, Michael Wanjala,Leonard Mugaisi and Charles Owino who are with the Kenya Sevens team currently in Tunisia for the Africa Sevens.
In addition, the Enterprise Cup champions will also have to do without Kenya 15s internationals Patrick Ouko, Thomas Okidia, Philip Ikambili, Dalmus Chituyi, Mohammed Omollo, Maxwell Kangéri, Zeden Marrow and Tony Onyango.
Despite the Deejays missing a good number of their key players, Nakuru RFC coach Mitch Ocholla says that will not give his side an upper hand when the teams lock horns in the first of the four quarter finals.
“I know they (Homeboyz) will be missing some of their internationals who are with the national 7s and 15s teams but that will not give us an edge. They have enough depth in each department and the replacements that will be called up are equally good,” Ocholla told Standard Sport.
“We hope that we shall tick the right boxes and possibly progress to the semi finals with a win,” Ocholla added.
Nakuru, popularly referred to as Wanyore, will make a return to the tournament after missing out last year.Their last appearance in 2016 saw them fall 28-26 to KCB in the semi-finals.
Ocholla, who crossed over to Nakuru from Strathmore Leos in 2017, said their return to the tournament will provide his side a good platform ahead of the 2018/19 Kenya Cup season that gets underway in next month.
“Our participation will be useful in our preparations for next season’s Kenya Cup having missed out last year when we were mourning one of our players, Mike Okombe,” Ocholla said.
Ocholla confirmed that the team will miss the services of Edwin Makori, Philip Owuor, Cassius Omollo and captain Isaiah Nyariki in tomorrow’s assignment. Gramwel Bunyasi and Nelson Oyoo are also unavailable.
The winner in the Homeboyz and Nakuru duel will face either Mwamba or defending champions Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) in the semi finals.
Other quarter finals, Nondies play Strathmore as Ngong Road rivals Impala Saracens and Kenya Harlequins face off. KCB will be up against Mwamba. He also Ocholla denied reports that Nyariki could be stripped off the captaincy for failing to show up for training recently.
- Lukaku delivers BAD NEWS to Man Utd fans about leaving, reveals destination Premier League 12 hours ago
- Manchester United respond to claims they are set for big-money Saudi takeoverFootball 7 hours ago
- Kenya 3-0 Ethiopia: Pictures of DP Ruto celebrating wildly go viral Football 1 day ago
- Floyd Mayweather responds to UFC Champion Khabib challenging him to a fightBoxing 8 hours ago
- Why Harambee Stars have not received Sh50 million despite 3-0 win over Ethiopia Football 1 day ago
- Kenya's anti-doping agency on the spot for tricking boxer to get her urineBoxing 2 weeks ago
- Kenya’s one shoe wonders: They are better remembered for the missing shoe or rather competing shoelessAthletics 2 weeks ago