Sierra Leone versus Ghana tie cancelled
Sierra Leone’s African Nations Cup qualifier against Ghana in Kumasi will not go ahead on today after the country’s football association failed to get a Fifa suspension lifted.
Sierra Leone authorities, who had petitioned Fifa to get the ban lifted, did not meet a Tuesday deadline to reinstate ousted football association president Isha Johansen, who is accused of corruption by government officials.
“Our appeal has been rejected,” Sierra Leone Football Association president Brima Mazola Kamara, who replaced Johansen, told Reuters.
“It is not what we were hoping for, especially since this now means the CAF match won’t be happening. Fifa told us that Isha’s reinstatement was a prerequisite for our suspension being lifted, and when we told them she had not returned to work, they denied us.”
Mazola Kamara said that the country’s Anti-Corruption Commission will not budge on their decision to oust Johansen and SLFA general secretary Christopher Kamara over allegations of match-fixing involving the national team.
Johansen and Christopher Kamara both deny any wrongdoing.
“The Anti-Corruption Commission will not stand for its judgement to be circumvented by FIFA or anyone else. Now we just need to wait and see what happens.
“But Isha won’t be reinstated, so the CAF match is definitely not happening. It’s unfortunate but it is what it is,” Mazola Kamara said.
The country’s Anti-Corruption Commissioner, Francis Kaifala, has slammed Fifa, calling their suspension of the country an attack on Sierra Leone’s sovereignty.
“Corruption is the biggest emergency Sierra Leone faces right now, and these actions from FIFA are nothing less than a violation of our national sovereignty,” Kaifala said.
“They may have their rules but we also have our own and will not be bullied around. We will play the game in our hearts even if they bar us from playing with them.”
Sierra Leone have three points from their opening two Nations Cup qualifiers and are also due to host Ghana in Freetown on Monday, with that fixture also in doubt over the impasse.
- Mourinho FINALLY reveals why they were beaten by Liverpool Football 7 hours ago
- Muhammad Ali’s son: I expected to inherit Sh516m after my father’s death, now I’m surviving on less than Sh700 a dayBoxing 1 day ago
- View Starting Lineups - Liverpool vs Man Utd at 7pmFootball 1 day ago
- Football: How Kenyans left others hurting in Copa tournamentFootball 19 hours ago
- Liverpool are the 'lucky ones' moans MourinhoFootball 1 day ago
- LaLiga star suffers stroke, rushed to hospitalFootball 1 month ago
- Polo: Lachlan win Ndume title in Gilgil tiesSports 19 hours ago