How Mourinho and Pogba’s half-time exchange sparked Manchester United’s win
Manchester United's brilliant comeback against Newcastle came after Jose Mourinho asked Paul Pogba for advice on tactics at half-time, it's emerged.
The Red Devils were losing 2-0 at home to Rafa Benitez's team at the interval, but fought back to win 3-2 thanks to goals from Juan Mata, Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez.
It coincided with Pogba, a player known for his attacking prowess, moved to deeper role, often finding himself in the centre-back position.
According to the Sun , the move was suggested by Pogba himself after Mourinho asked his players for their input in the dressing room at half-time.
Mourinho apparently listened, taking off midfielder Scott McTominay, who had dropped into defence after Eric Bailly was hooked on the 19-minute mark.
Nemanja Matic, who had been playing as a midfield anchor, went to centre-back, with Pogba sitting just in front of the back four and behind Marouane Fellaini.
It worked. Pogba started to pull the strings from a deep lying role.
Perhaps more significantly, though, it suggests the pair's relationship is not beyond repair as it had been thought following their training ground bust-up last month.
Reflecting on the victory, Mourinho said: “During half-time we opened our hearts and we spoke about tactical changes for two minutes.
“Then we spoke for eight minutes about other things that I thought would let the players be a little bit more free to face the second half and it became 3-2. Amazing.”
- David Rudisha’s father dead at 73Athletics 1 month ago
- How ‘noisy neighbours’ City could ruin Red Devils’ UCL dreamFootball 1 month ago
- Ronaldo returns to Portugal squad for Euro qualifiersFootball 1 month ago
- Rugby: Crusaders review 'offensive' name, branding after mosque attackRugby 3 weeks ago
- Breaking: Lionel Messi returns to Argentina squad for 1st time since World CupFootball 1 month ago
- Solskjaer: Why we can stop Lionel Messi tonightFootball 2 weeks ago
- Kenyans battle Ethiopians in Boston after Paris lossAthletics 1 week ago