How Mourinho and Pogba’s half-time exchange sparked Manchester United’s win
Manchester United's brilliant comeback against Newcastle came after Jose Mourinho asked Paul Pogba for advice on tactics at half-time, it's emerged.
The Red Devils were losing 2-0 at home to Rafa Benitez's team at the interval, but fought back to win 3-2 thanks to goals from Juan Mata, Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez.
It coincided with Pogba, a player known for his attacking prowess, moved to deeper role, often finding himself in the centre-back position.
According to the Sun , the move was suggested by Pogba himself after Mourinho asked his players for their input in the dressing room at half-time.
Mourinho apparently listened, taking off midfielder Scott McTominay, who had dropped into defence after Eric Bailly was hooked on the 19-minute mark.
Nemanja Matic, who had been playing as a midfield anchor, went to centre-back, with Pogba sitting just in front of the back four and behind Marouane Fellaini.
It worked. Pogba started to pull the strings from a deep lying role.
Perhaps more significantly, though, it suggests the pair's relationship is not beyond repair as it had been thought following their training ground bust-up last month.
Reflecting on the victory, Mourinho said: “During half-time we opened our hearts and we spoke about tactical changes for two minutes.
“Then we spoke for eight minutes about other things that I thought would let the players be a little bit more free to face the second half and it became 3-2. Amazing.”
- Lukaku delivers BAD NEWS to Man Utd fans about leaving, reveals destination Premier League 20 hours ago
- Golf: Gakima floors 78 golfers to win at Railways ClubGolf 1 day ago
- FA condemns fans' "unacceptable behaviour" before England v SpainFootball 17 hours ago
- Floyd Mayweather responds to UFC Champion Khabib challenging him to a fightBoxing 16 hours ago
- Spain 2-3 England: Sterling leads Three Lions to stunning success in SevilleFootball 3 hours ago
- Nigeria coach Rohr expects tough Libya rematchFootball 11 hours ago
- Nurmagomedov, man who shamed McGregor now wants to fight MayweatherBoxing 1 hour ago