Former Kenyan cross country champion dies
Paul Koech, 1998 World Half Marathon Champion has passed on at the Nairobi’s Memorial Hospital after a short illness.
According to sources, Major Koech fell ill and was admitted at the facility after complaining of severe headache.
Major Koech, who was born in Uasin Gishu in 1969 is an uncle to former World 10,000m champion Sally Barsosio.
Paul Koech’s death comes less than a month after the tragic demise of 2015 World 400m hurdles champion Nicholas Bett who died in a road accident.
In a statement, Athletics Kenya said: “Athletics Kenya with sorrow, regret to announce the sudden demise of Major Paul Koech, a co-opted member in Athletics Kenya Executive Committee."
The statement further read: Major Paul was a great track, cross country and road racing athlete of all times. A dedicated team player in Kenya’s national and World Cross Country squad.
Paul Koech was considered Paul Tergat's biggest cross country rival.
- Football star dead after team bus involved in crashFootball 2 weeks ago
- Photos: Chemtai makes history, sets fastest marathon timeAthletics 1 week ago
- Lukaku’s mother star-struck at Old Trafford after meeting Lionel Messi [photos]Football 1 month ago
- Why is Arsenal’s Lacazette on Barcelona’s official website?Football 3 days ago
- School games: Champs St Anthony’s seek third straight winHockey 1 month ago
- Blow to Liverpool as superstar injured during Barcelona thrashingFootball 1 week ago
- Football: FIFA ready to discuss concussion substitutionsFootball 2 weeks ago