Former Kenyan cross country champion dies
Paul Koech, 1998 World Half Marathon Champion has passed on at the Nairobi’s Memorial Hospital after a short illness.
According to sources, Major Koech fell ill and was admitted at the facility after complaining of severe headache.
Major Koech, who was born in Uasin Gishu in 1969 is an uncle to former World 10,000m champion Sally Barsosio.
Paul Koech’s death comes less than a month after the tragic demise of 2015 World 400m hurdles champion Nicholas Bett who died in a road accident.
In a statement, Athletics Kenya said: “Athletics Kenya with sorrow, regret to announce the sudden demise of Major Paul Koech, a co-opted member in Athletics Kenya Executive Committee."
The statement further read: Major Paul was a great track, cross country and road racing athlete of all times. A dedicated team player in Kenya’s national and World Cross Country squad.
Paul Koech was considered Paul Tergat's biggest cross country rival.
- FA Cup: Manchester United beat Tranmere 6-0Football 6 hours ago
- Napoli vs Juventus betting prediction from 22BetFootball 2 days ago
- CS Amina: State to set up medical and pension scheme for athletes Athletics 2 hours ago
- Rugby: Mean Machine and USIU Martials stamp playoff spotsRugby 2 hours ago
- Man United fined by FA for players misconductPremier League 2 days ago
- Reports: Spanish defender in London for Arsenal medicalFootball 6 hours ago
- PSG star linked with move to Old Trafford but Utd are wary of repeating mistakes made with SanchezFootball 2 days ago