Former Kenyan cross country champion dies
Paul Koech, 1998 World Half Marathon Champion has passed on at the Nairobi’s Memorial Hospital after a short illness.
According to sources, Major Koech fell ill and was admitted at the facility after complaining of severe headache.
Major Koech, who was born in Uasin Gishu in 1969 is an uncle to former World 10,000m champion Sally Barsosio.
Paul Koech’s death comes less than a month after the tragic demise of 2015 World 400m hurdles champion Nicholas Bett who died in a road accident.
In a statement, Athletics Kenya said: “Athletics Kenya with sorrow, regret to announce the sudden demise of Major Paul Koech, a co-opted member in Athletics Kenya Executive Committee."
The statement further read: Major Paul was a great track, cross country and road racing athlete of all times. A dedicated team player in Kenya’s national and World Cross Country squad.
Paul Koech was considered Paul Tergat's biggest cross country rival.
- Former star survives assassination attempt from his own fan [Photos]Football 9 hours ago
- Referee forgets coin, makes captains play rock-paper-scissors instead – then is suspendedFootball 7 hours ago
- Financial Abuse: UEFA warns clubs after Man City’s dirty linen leaksFootball 5 hours ago
- Rugby: Kenya drops in global rankings after Canada thrashingRugby 18 hours ago
- Emerging Stars' quest for place in 2020 Olympics begins todayFootball 18 hours ago
- Santiago Solari is the new Real Madrid manager until 2021Football 3 hours ago
- Claudio Ranieri named new Fulham managerPremier League 2 hours ago