Former Kenyan cross country champion dies
Paul Koech, 1998 World Half Marathon Champion has passed on at the Nairobi’s Memorial Hospital after a short illness.
According to sources, Major Koech fell ill and was admitted at the facility after complaining of severe headache.
Major Koech, who was born in Uasin Gishu in 1969 is an uncle to former World 10,000m champion Sally Barsosio.
Paul Koech’s death comes less than a month after the tragic demise of 2015 World 400m hurdles champion Nicholas Bett who died in a road accident.
In a statement, Athletics Kenya said: “Athletics Kenya with sorrow, regret to announce the sudden demise of Major Paul Koech, a co-opted member in Athletics Kenya Executive Committee."
The statement further read: Major Paul was a great track, cross country and road racing athlete of all times. A dedicated team player in Kenya’s national and World Cross Country squad.
Paul Koech was considered Paul Tergat's biggest cross country rival.
- Guardiola unhappy as City keep pace with Liverpool in Huddersfield winFootball 9 hours ago
- Cricket: Swamibapa continue with winning ways in NPCA T20 leagueCricket 6 hours ago
- Hog charge: Big field for Hog Charge in Ruiru todaySports 1 day ago
- Boxer suffers horror cut during undercard of Pacquiao's WBA welterweight title defenceBoxing 11 hours ago
- Gor Mahia qualify for CAF Confederation Cup group stage after beating Cameroon’s New Star 2-1 on aggregateFootball 10 hours ago
- Jose Mourinho sends harsh message to Manchester United players Football 12 hours ago
- FKF orders Sofapaka pay goalkeeper Wycliffe Kasaya Sh1.6m Football 6 hours ago