Mourinho takes aim at Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp
Jose Mourinho has aimed a subtle dig at Liverpool and their manager Jurgen Klopp after the Reds failed to win the Champions League last season.
The Merseyside club lost 3-1 to Real Madrid in Kiev in May - with Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale's sensational double handing the La Liga giants their third straight European title.
It was the third European final the German had failed to win, having previously lost in 2013 to Bayern Munich when he was in charge of Borussia Dortmund and the Europa League with the Reds in 2016 - when Sevilla defeated them.
On the other hand, Mourinho has won the Champions League twice, with Porto and Inter Milan, and the Europa League with United two years ago.
And the United boss boasted his better record after he was asked whether he would still be seen as a great manager if he fails to win the Premier League title at Old Trafford.
“Did you ask that question to the manager that finished third in the Premier League or fourth [Jurgen Klopp]? Because he never won anything in international, for example."
Mourinho also taunted Tottenham for fans for chanting “you’re not special anymore” at him during Monday’s galling defeat.
“Yeah, but they didn’t have that song when we beat them at Wembley a couple of months ago.
“That was a cup final they had a big dream to go. They also had a title they had a big dream to win, because they didn’t win many, and of course they were not singing that."
- Ochieng' prepares for life after footballFootball 21 hours ago
- City lawyer Donald Kipkorir publishes opinion on why some athletes go from riches to rags on retirementAthletics 21 hours ago
- Hockey: UOE bag maximum points in city tourHockey 1 day ago
- Treasury holds onto Sh8b as Sports suffer: Harambee Stars coach yet to be paid for two monthsFootball 1 day ago
- Athletics: Elite marathoners head to MombasaRugby 21 hours ago
- Athletics: Second Kabarak Half Marathon nets Sh5mAthletics 21 hours ago
- Kenyan athlete hit by car during Medellin half marathonAthletics 1 day ago