Gor Mahia one point away from 2018 title

By Rodgers Eshitemi: Thursday, August 23rd 2018 at 00:00 GMT +3 | Football

Gor Mahia bounced back from their CAF Confederations Cup shocking loss to Rayon Sports to beat nine-man Sofapaka 3-0 in Narok yesterday and move just one point away from retaining the SportPesa Premier League title.

Joachim Oluoch, Innocent Wafula and Samuel Onyango scored a goal each for the fringe Gor side to take their points tally to 68.

This means Dylan Kerr’s men could lift the title if they avoid defeat in Saturday’s Mashemeji derby against AFC Leopards at Kasarani.

Batoto Ba Mungu had to contend with two men less after exhausting their substitutions following goalkeeper Wycliffe Kasaya’s red card and Mohammed Kilume’s injury.

But it is Kasaya’s 60th minute sent off that remains the talking point of the match that Sofapaka could have at least picked a point if their strikers were clinical in front of goal.

The experienced goalkeeper was shown a straight red-card and Gor awarded a penalty after he fouled Lawrence Juma in the box.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

“We were beaten on Sunday and a lot of people criticised us. I am waiting to see what they will say after this performance. I am happy for everyone involved. That’s a fantastic performance,” said Gor coach Dylan Kerr after the match.

His Sofapaka counterpart John Baraza said Kasaya’s red card cost them the match. “I didn’t expect such performance from a player of Kasaya’s calibre. He gifted Gor a penalty and after the red card, it was a bit difficult for us to make a come back,” said Baraza.

Sofapaka had a clear chance of the first half in the 14th minute but Kepha Aswani’s penalty was saved by goalkeeper Peter Odhiambo after the former Nairobi City Stars custodian was adjudged to have fouled Ezekiel Okare in the box.

Moments later, Wesley Onguso saw his long range effort on the half hour mark go wide before Bernard Ondiek earned a free kick for Gor Mahia at the edge of the box.

However, Kasaya easily gathered Cercidy Lumumba’s set-piece shot before Wafula’s attempt was blocked by the opposition’s wall. Sofapaka launched a counter attack but the keeper did well to stop Asieche’s 40th minute dangerous cross from the right flank.

But Batoto Ba Mungu were punished two minutes later through Joachim Oluoch’s strike after pouncing on a loose ball from a corner kick. Okare thought to have drawn level on the stroke of halftime, but his header was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Odhiambo.

Just a minute into the second half, Okare then fluffed his effort in the area before substitute Stephen Waruru’s free kick was deflected for a corner.

Gor suffered another injury blow in the 53rd minute with youngster Raphael Asudi coming in for injured Onguso, who landed awkwardly while making a clearance.

Wafula doubled the lead for Gor in the hour mark from the spot after Kasaya was red carded and the champions awarded a penalty after the goalkeeper tripped Juma in the box.