Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in derby thriller
* Pedro opened the scoring in ninth minute for Chelsea
* Morata doubled hosts' lead in 20th minute
* Mkhitaryan and Iwobi drew Arsenal level before halftime
* Marcos Alonso struck Chelsea winner in 81st minute
* Chelsea next at Newcastle, Arsenal host West Ham
Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in a pulsating London Premier League derby on Saturday with defender Marcos Alonso scoring an 81st-minute winner after the Gunners had fought back from an early 2-0 deficit.
In a hectic first half, Chelsea went ahead in the ninth minute when Pedro buried a cross by Alonso. Out-of-form striker Alvaro Morata scored only his second league goal of 2018, fed by a through ball from Cesar Azpilicueta 11 minutes later.
Arsenal clawed their way back into the game in the 37th minute when Henrikh Mkhitaryan drilled in a low shot that Kepa Arrizabalaga -- the world's most expensive goalkeeper making his home debut -- could not keep out. Alex Iwobi made it 2-2 four minutes later as Arsenal exploited Chelsea's vulnerability on the flanks.
In a tighter second half, neither side could carve out as many chances but Alonso settled the game when Belgium winger Eden Hazard, on as a substitute, carved open the Arsenal defence for the Spanish defender to finish in Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri's first home game in charge.
- KPA MD Manduku flags off Bandari, welcomes TwahaFootball 18 hours ago
- FKF Elections: Nyamweya, ex-Vihiga Governor Akaranga join frayFootball 1 day ago
- Deaflympics: Kenya team continue good performancesAthletics 1 day ago
- From now on, here’s how to pronounce top footballers’ names – UEFAFootball 2 days ago
- Barcelona predict billion euro income this seasonFootball 18 hours ago
- Brugge and Galatasaray ends goallessFootball 1 day ago
- Kipchoge says he's getting stronger each dayAthletics 2 days ago