Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in derby thriller
* Pedro opened the scoring in ninth minute for Chelsea
* Morata doubled hosts' lead in 20th minute
* Mkhitaryan and Iwobi drew Arsenal level before halftime
* Marcos Alonso struck Chelsea winner in 81st minute
* Chelsea next at Newcastle, Arsenal host West Ham
Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in a pulsating London Premier League derby on Saturday with defender Marcos Alonso scoring an 81st-minute winner after the Gunners had fought back from an early 2-0 deficit.
In a hectic first half, Chelsea went ahead in the ninth minute when Pedro buried a cross by Alonso. Out-of-form striker Alvaro Morata scored only his second league goal of 2018, fed by a through ball from Cesar Azpilicueta 11 minutes later.
Arsenal clawed their way back into the game in the 37th minute when Henrikh Mkhitaryan drilled in a low shot that Kepa Arrizabalaga -- the world's most expensive goalkeeper making his home debut -- could not keep out. Alex Iwobi made it 2-2 four minutes later as Arsenal exploited Chelsea's vulnerability on the flanks.
In a tighter second half, neither side could carve out as many chances but Alonso settled the game when Belgium winger Eden Hazard, on as a substitute, carved open the Arsenal defence for the Spanish defender to finish in Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri's first home game in charge.
- Former FIFA boss charged in SwitzerlandFootball 2 days ago
- Tuwei and Kszczot set to clash in Madrid tonightAthletics 1 day ago
- Arsenal boss Arteta hails Saka impact after win at OlympiakosFootball 1 day ago
- FIA says Safari Rally will add adventure to World ChampionshipSports 1 day ago
- Wilder, Fury bulk up for heavyweight showdownBoxing 15 hours ago
- Eriksen scores first Inter goal, Ajax lose, United heldFootball 1 day ago
- Big kick off: FKF versus Sports RegistrarSports 2 days ago