Mathare battle rivals Sharks in tough match
‘Wise’ urges his side to bounce back with win in the Slum derby.
Mathare United captain George “Wise” Owino believes his side have a perfect chance to bounce back to their winning ways when they take on Kariobangi Sharks in today’s Slum derby clash at Kasarani Stadium.
Though the two clubs have had a bad run in the SportPesa Premier League in the recent weeks, the seventh placed Mathare have picked up 34 points, one more than Sharks, whom they have never beaten since they were promoted into SPL last year.
Francis Kimanzi’s men had a brilliant start to the season, before fading away mid-way through the campaign.
Their worrying form has seen them go eight matches without winning (five draws and three losses).
Just like Mathare, Sharks have endured a poor form, winning only once in their last six outings (one win, one draw and four losses).
But with both clubs coming off two consecutive defeats, the veteran defender has issued a rallying call to his teammates, urging them to turn their season’s fortunes a round and secure a top four finish.
“Both teams are having a poor run and this makes it an open game. There is no favourite but we are going to approach it as a must-win to make our chances of finishing in the top four realistic,” Owino was quoted on the club’s official website.
“There is a small gap between us and the teams above. If we bounce back to winning ways we can easily ascend to second place.
“Winning a derby is a big motivation because it improves your confidence and encourages you to win matches. We showed a lot of improvement in our last match and we want to build on that,” he added.
In other matches today, AFC Leopards face an acid test against a resurgent Nakumatt in Machakos as Sofapaka welcome Vihiga United in Narok.
“We have to build on our last weekend’s performance against Gor Mahia. With such commitment and attitude, I am confident we will survive relegation. Each of our remaining matches is like a final to us. So, there is no time to relax,” said Nakumatt coach Melis Medo.
- Top footballer declared missing after swimming accidentFootball 1 month ago
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago
- Joe Kadenge burial billed at Sh5 millionFootball 1 month ago
- REVEALED! Why there is no SportPesa Mega JackpotFootball 2 months ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 1 month ago