Revealed! The most likely person to replace Wenger at Arsenal
The news that rattled European soccer early Friday morning may soon do the same to soccer in the United States.
Hours after news broke that famed Arsenal FC manager Arsene Wenger is departing the club at the end of this season, his 22nd with the team, reports surfaced in Europe that the leading candidate to replace him is a current MLS head coach.
New York City FC head man Patrick Vieira is being called the front-runner and favorite by multiple outlets. BeIN Sports' Richard Keys reported that Wengerhimself recommended the former Arsenal star to replace him.
Vieira, 41, played nine seasons at Arsenal, earning Premier League Player of the Season in 2000-01 and making the Premier League Overseas Team of the Decade -- a collection of the best players in the first 10 years of the league's existence.
Vieira won three Premier League championships and four FA Cups with Arsenal, eventually earning the team's captaincy.
He has been in charge of NYCFC since the start of the 2016 season, the franchise's second season in MLS. The club made the playoffs in each of his first two seasons and currently leads the league this season with 17 points (5-0-2).
- Dispatch from Dar: Tanzania Police preach road safetyFootball 10 hours ago
- Guardiola unhappy as City keep pace with Liverpool in Huddersfield winFootball 13 hours ago
- Manchester United star ruled out for weeks after horrific injuryFootball 2 days ago
- Boxer suffers horror cut during undercard of Pacquiao's WBA welterweight title defenceBoxing 15 hours ago
- Huge boost for Chelsea as they land top Juventus strikerGossip & Rumours 4 days ago
- “It didn’t help the players at all” – Gor Mahia coach Oktay slams Kerr’s tacticsFootball 2 days ago
- Cricket: Swamibapa continue with winning ways in NPCA T20 leagueCricket 10 hours ago