Inter-county games: Makueni beat Kwale to chalk up first win
Makueni defeated Kwale 2-1 in men’s football as the 4th edition of the Kenya Youth Inter County Sports Association Games (KYISCA) kicked off at Unoa Grounds in Makueni County yesterday.
Clinton Mwololo opened the scores for Makueni in the first minute before Mbwana Vuyaa equalised for Kwale six minutes later.
Shadrack Mwangangi scored the winner for the hosts in the 35th minute to pick up maximum points in Group A.
The fourth edition has attracted 22 out of the 47 counties, with defending football champions Kisumu missing in action.
Makueni Deputy Governor Adelina Mwau said the objective of the games was for participating counties to interact and fight against drug abuse.
“The games will also help us develop and manage sports facilities within the county and nurture the talent of post-secondary youths aged 18 to 25 years. We have scouts from various clubs who have come here to see potential talent,” she said.
In football, the teams have been grouped in seven pools. Group A consists of hosts Makueni, Kwale and Tharaka Nithi while Group B has Kirinyaga, Nakuru and Samburu.
Group C has Meru, Kajiado and Elgeyo Marakwet while Group D consists of Embu, Isiolo and Laikipia.
Kitui, Nyandarua and Garissa are in Group E while Nyeri, Turkana and Tana River make up Group F. Siaya, Kiambu and Marsabit are in Group G.
Group A and C matches will be played at Unoa Grounds while Makueni Boys Grounds will host group B and D matches. Group E, F and G will be played at Kambi Mawe Primary, Kathonzweni Boys and AIC Kathonzweni Grounds respectively.
In women's football, Makueni, Kiambu and Siaya have been pooled in Group A while Kajiado, Elgeyo Marakwet and Laikipa are in Group B. Group C has Kwale, Kitui and Meru while Nyandarua and Nakuru make up Group D.
All group A and C matches will be played at Police Grounds while Kiumoni and Kambi Mawe Primary schools will host groups B and D games. [Rebecca Jebet]
- Barcelona frustrate Manchester United’s plan to sign Chelsea superstarFootball 3 hours ago
- Barcelona player linked with shock move to ArsenalFootball 2 hours ago
- Mama Oliech dies in NairobiFootball 1 day ago
- Reports: Less than a year after joining Blues from Arsenal, Giroud heading out of club ahead of transferFootball 1 hour ago
- Ozil writes to fans, explains why he met Turkish president ErdoganFootball 8 hours ago
- De Gea sends powerful message to Man United fans about joining Real MadridFootball 1 day ago
- Moments of madness cost Kenya 7s World Cup placeRugby 1 day ago