Liverpool canter to 2-0 victory at Southampton
* Liverpool outclassed Southampton to win 2-0
* Roberto Firmino fired them ahead after seven minutes
* Mohamed Salah made it 2-0 close to halftime
* Liverpool fielded five former Southampton players
* Liverpool host West Ham United next, Southampton at Burnley
Liverpool closed to within two points of second-placed Manchester United with a comfortable 2-0 victory at relegation-haunted Southampton on Sunday.
Roberto Firmino fired Liverpool ahead after seven minutes after being set up by Mohamed Salah and Salah struck shortly before halftime as the visitors eased to the three points.
Liverpool, who featured three former Southampton players in their starting lineup and also brought on former Saints Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren late on, could have added more in the second half as the hosts offered precious little.
Liverpool have 54 points to United's 56 with Tottenham Hotspur on 52 and champions Chelsea, who play bottom club West Bromwich Albion on Monday, on 50 as the battle for Champions League spots hots up.
Southampton are third from bottom, a point behind 17th-placed Huddersfield Town who won earlier on Sunday.
- Lukaku delivers BAD NEWS to Man Utd fans about leaving, reveals destination Premier League 22 hours ago
- Golf: Gakima floors 78 golfers to win at Railways ClubGolf 1 day ago
- FA condemns fans' "unacceptable behaviour" before England v SpainFootball 18 hours ago
- Floyd Mayweather responds to UFC Champion Khabib challenging him to a fightBoxing 18 hours ago
- Spain 2-3 England: Sterling leads Three Lions to stunning success in SevilleFootball 5 hours ago
- A day in the life of a living legend - Eliud Kipchoge [Photos] Athletics 1 hour ago
- Nigeria coach Rohr expects tough Libya rematchFootball 12 hours ago