Liverpool canter to 2-0 victory at Southampton
* Liverpool outclassed Southampton to win 2-0
* Roberto Firmino fired them ahead after seven minutes
* Mohamed Salah made it 2-0 close to halftime
* Liverpool fielded five former Southampton players
* Liverpool host West Ham United next, Southampton at Burnley
Liverpool closed to within two points of second-placed Manchester United with a comfortable 2-0 victory at relegation-haunted Southampton on Sunday.
Roberto Firmino fired Liverpool ahead after seven minutes after being set up by Mohamed Salah and Salah struck shortly before halftime as the visitors eased to the three points.
Liverpool, who featured three former Southampton players in their starting lineup and also brought on former Saints Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren late on, could have added more in the second half as the hosts offered precious little.
Liverpool have 54 points to United's 56 with Tottenham Hotspur on 52 and champions Chelsea, who play bottom club West Bromwich Albion on Monday, on 50 as the battle for Champions League spots hots up.
Southampton are third from bottom, a point behind 17th-placed Huddersfield Town who won earlier on Sunday.