Neymar strikes as PSG reach League Cup semis
Neymar scored a second-half penalty as four-time defending champions Paris Saint-Germain toiled before overcoming 10-man Amiens 2-0 to reach the semi-finals of the French League Cup on Wednesday.
PSG were again without leading scorer Edinson Cavani, who also missed Sunday’s French Cup rout of Rennes after returning late from his Christmas and New Year break in Uruguay.
Amiens’ hopes of springing an upset were heavily undermined by the dismissal of goalkeeper Regis Gurtner on 34 minutes for a foul on Kylian Mbappe after charging out of his area.
And Neymar eventually made the visitors’ numerical advantage count by winning and converting a spot-kick eight minutes into the second half at the Stade de la Licorne.
Mbappe, earlier denied by a fingertip save from Jean-Christophe Bouet, was then thwarted by a combination of the substitute keeper and the crossbar before firing another effort narrowly wide.
Marquinhos also struck the woodwork after connecting with a cross from Giovani Lo Celso, but Adrien Rabiot wrapped up a remarkable 35th consecutive win in domestic cup ties for PSG with a glancing header.
The goal was given following consultation with the video assistant referee.
- Finally! Chelsea boss Sarri reveals what they did to Man City to end their unbeaten runFootball 9 hours ago
- Chelsea release powerful statement after racist attack on Man City’s SterlingFootball 9 hours ago
- Nyasa coach sends stern warning to Gor Mahia ahead of return leg Football 1 week ago
- Messi pictured for first time since breaking arm [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- What Real Madrid 'wrongfully thought' when they sold RonaldoFootball 1 week ago
- How Inter Milan plans to hijack Juventus’ world record bid to re-sign PogbaPremier League 1 week ago
- Arsenal squad vs Leicester City revealed as Emery makes changesFootball 1 month ago