Neymar strikes as PSG reach League Cup semis
Neymar scored a second-half penalty as four-time defending champions Paris Saint-Germain toiled before overcoming 10-man Amiens 2-0 to reach the semi-finals of the French League Cup on Wednesday.
PSG were again without leading scorer Edinson Cavani, who also missed Sunday’s French Cup rout of Rennes after returning late from his Christmas and New Year break in Uruguay.
Amiens’ hopes of springing an upset were heavily undermined by the dismissal of goalkeeper Regis Gurtner on 34 minutes for a foul on Kylian Mbappe after charging out of his area.
And Neymar eventually made the visitors’ numerical advantage count by winning and converting a spot-kick eight minutes into the second half at the Stade de la Licorne.
Mbappe, earlier denied by a fingertip save from Jean-Christophe Bouet, was then thwarted by a combination of the substitute keeper and the crossbar before firing another effort narrowly wide.
Marquinhos also struck the woodwork after connecting with a cross from Giovani Lo Celso, but Adrien Rabiot wrapped up a remarkable 35th consecutive win in domestic cup ties for PSG with a glancing header.
The goal was given following consultation with the video assistant referee.
- Sweden star threatened, racially abused for costly mistake against GermanyWorld Cup 2018 11 hours ago
- England lineup against Panama leaked, Southgate brings Chelsea youngstarWorld Cup 2018 13 hours ago
- Germany rescue World Cup hopes with dramatic win over SwedenWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- England rout Panama 6-1 with Kane hat-trickWorld Cup 2018 6 hours ago
- Challenges facing Argentina ahead of their must-win group game against NigeriaWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago
- Lukaku, Hazard power Belgium to brink of World Cup last 16 after a 5-2 romp against TunisiaWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Argentina star reveals the truth about reports on rift between players and coach SampaoliWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago