Tottenham's Harry Kane beats Shearer's goal record and also topples Messi
Harry Kane toppled Alan Shearer’s 22-year-old record for the most Premier League goals in a calendar year by scoring a double for Tottenham Hotspur against Southampton on Tuesday, also overtaking Lionel Messi as the top scorer in Europe.
England forward Kane, 24, headed in Christian Eriksen’s freekick in the 22nd minute to overtake Shearer’s 36 goals in 1995 with Blackburn Rovers, a tally he had equalled by scoring a hat-trick in Spurs’ 3-0 win at Burnley on Saturday.
The double Premier League Golden Boot holder then increased Tottenham’s advantage by finishing off a sweeping team move with a tap in from close range in the 39th minute for his 55th goal in all competitions for the year, edging ahead of Barcelona forward Messi as the top scorer in Europe for 2017.
Kane leads an impressive list of strikers for the most goals in competitive games for club and country which also contains Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski, Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo and Paris St Germain’s Edinson Cavani.
Kane was immediately congratulated by Shearer.
“You’ve had a magnificent 2017 @HKane. You deserve to hold the record of most Premier League goals in a calendar year. Well done and keep up the good work,” the former England and Newcastle United great wrote on Twitter.
Kane slid on his knees on the Wembley pitch after netting the milestone goal while the home fans chanted “Harry Kane: he’s one of our own”.
Former England and Tottenham forward Gary Lineker joined in praising Kane with a post on Twitter. He wrote:
“He’s only gone and done it. First Shearer’s record and now Messi’s total is surpassed. Well played @HKane. Absolutely magnificent achievement.” Spurs led Southampton 2-0 at halftime.
- Basketball: Kenyan national junior teams off to Zone Five qualifersBasketball 9 hours ago
- England beat Tunisia 2-1 in World Cup group gameWorld Cup 2018 10 hours ago
- South Africa-based Nduva wins Kenya Amateur Match play ChampionshipGolf 15 hours ago
- Kiprono survives early scare in Karen Masters qualifiersGolf 1 day ago
- Croatian striker sent home for ‘refusing to play’ in Nigeria winWorld Cup 2018 19 hours ago
- Eagle-eyed viewers spot the brilliant thing Southgate said just before Kane's first goal vs TunisiaWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago
- Belgium beat Panama 3-0 in World CupWorld Cup 2018 13 hours ago