Legend: Thigo to be inducted in Kenya Hall of Fame
Legendary Gor Mahia and Harambee Stars midfielder Allan Thigo will be inducted into the Kenya Football Hall of Fame on Saturday, the organisers have announced.
Organised by a group of former local footballers, Kenya Football Hall of Fame seeks to recognise the contribution of erstwhile Harambee Stars players to the game.
Thigo will be the sixth recipient of the annual award after Joe Kadenge, Mahmoud Abass, the late James Siang’a and Ambrose Ayoyi ‘Golden Boy’.
Speaking ahead of the ceremony at 680 Hotel in Nairobi, US-based Kenya Hall of Fame assistant organising Secretary Charles Muiruri said they are delighted to induct Thigo for his sacrifice to sports in Kenya.
“He inspired many to take up football and he still does. Apart from bringing honour to this country, Thigo offered distinguished service at times going for months on end without pay but never turned his back on the young generation,” Muiruri said.
Thigo, a revered midfielder in the 70s had a distinguished career with Gor Mahia spanning 13 unbroken years.
He helped Gor Mahia win three Kenyan Premier League titles as a player-coach leading K’Ogalo to a historic unbeaten run in winning the league in 1976.
Having joined Harambee Stars in 1968 playing through to 1979, the highlight coming when he helped Kenyan qualify for her first ever Africa Cup on Nations and became vice-captain of Harambee Stars at the finals in Cameroon led by Jonathan Niva.
Despite the difficulties Kenyan players faced while playing for both club and country, Thigo always persevered the worst of administrations all the while trying to give his best to players coming through.
His dedication to serving Kenya at all football levels has seen him go without pay, a victim of broken promises but his love for the Kenyan game has never diminished. [Robin Toskin]
- Kipyegon Bett charged with doping offenceAthletics 7 hours ago
- Gor march closer to league winFootball 3 hours ago
- Retired President Moi mourns Bett's demiseAthletics 6 days ago
- Kiambu County dethrone Nakuru in basketballBasketball 3 hours ago
- Linda Jesang Kangogo wins DT Dobie Eldoret tournamentGolf 3 days ago
- Netball: Kenya lose to hosts Zambia in continental openerVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Hail Kenya’s shooting stars: Local sharpshooters post superb display in South AfricaSports 3 hours ago