Report: Ronaldo seeks Real Madrid exit after tax accusations
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave the club and Spain after being accused of committing tax fraud in the country, a report in Portuguese sports daily A Bola said on Friday.
The newspaper said its story was based on a reliable source and that the 32-year-old four-times world player of the year had already made up his mind to ask the club for a transfer.
It said that Ronaldo was "deeply disenchanted" with the allegations against him.
Spanish prosecutors have filed a lawsuit against the player accusing him of defrauding tax authorities of 14.7 million euros (12.9 million pounds) by hiding his image rights income between 2011 and 2014. Ronaldo has denied any wrongdoing.
Real Madrid said on Thursday that they were confident the Portuguese forward had acted legally. They could not immediately be reached on Friday to comment on the report.
Ronaldo led Real Madrid to their 12th European Cup earlier this month after scoring two goals in a 4-1 victory over Juventus in the Champions League final, becoming the tournament's top scorer.
Ronaldo, Portugal's all-time leading scorer, is the latest in a long line of soccer players in Spain -- among them Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Neymar -- to be caught up in cases over tax or transfers.
Ronaldo has completed eight seasons at Real Madrid since joining them from Manchester United in 2009 for a then world record fee of 96 million euros
During that time, they have won the Champions League three times and La Liga twice. In November, he agreed to extend his contract until 2021.
He is currently at the Confederations Cup in Russia with the Portuguese national team.
- Aguero blast Argentina boss Sampaoli after Croatia defeatWorld Cup 2018 14 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Why I am growing a beard this World Cup seasonWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Fans shocked by what Messi did in Argentina's defeat by Croatia in World CupWorld Cup 2018 14 hours ago
- Death threats sent to Colombian midfielder Sanchez after he was red carded World Cup 2018 12 hours ago
- Messi and Aguero to retire from international football if Argentina flop out of World CupWorld Cup 2018 8 hours ago
- The number United fans think new signing Fred should be givenGossip & Rumours 10 hours ago
- Senegal defender confirms Sarri’s move to ChelseaWorld Cup 2018 12 hours ago