Western win KTCSA national athletics title
Western Region are the new Kenya Teachers Colleges Sports Association (KTCSA) national athletics champions.
The region dominated the three-day championship held at Thogoto Teachers Training College in Kiambu County, garnering 356 points to be crowned overall winners.
They dethroned athletics powerhouse, Rift Valley, who won last year took second place with 293 points while Central finished third with 165.
Western retained the women’s title with 201 points was their men dethroned Rift Valley with 155. Rift Valley finished second in both categories with 140 points (men) and women 153 while Eastern and Central finished third with 97 points each in the men's and women’s contests.
Wyclife Kupar of Eregi won the men’s 10,000m race after clocking 3 minutes 20.6 seconds, Mosoriots Nelson Cheruiyot came in second 3.1 seconds later while Nkaiwuati Parsaloi of Kigari settled for bronze after 32 minutes 4.8 seconds of racing.
Rift Valley’s Emmy Chemtai of Mosoriot bagged gold in the women’s 5,000m to complete a double. Chemtai, who had won gold in 10,000m, proved that she was indeed the best long-distance runner in the colleges, easing to victory in a time of 18:56.3. Lucy Jepkuruiof Mosoriot, who had also won silver in 10,000m, upped her game to snatch victory in 3,000m steeplechase.
Sylvia Kibwalei of Eregi, who won the women’s 1,500m, eased to victory in three more events to steer Western to the overall crown.
- Handball: KHF to organize referees’ courseVolleyball and Handball 2 months ago
- Snook wary of Morocco threatRugby 9 hours ago
- Messi and Aguero to retire from international football if Argentina flop out of World CupWorld Cup 2018 18 hours ago
- Kwale dominate school gamesSports 9 hours ago
- Migne needs time to turn around Harambee Stars, says EchesaFootball 3 weeks ago
- World Cup 2018: France v Australia – Official lineupsWorld Cup 2018 6 days ago
- Soldiers clash at Kasarani StadiumAthletics 2 weeks ago