China set to shatter transfer records

[PHOTO: COURTESY]

“Biggest”, “hugest”, “most ever”. Analysts are piling up superlatives as China prepares to splash out astronomical sums for footballing talent during the winter transfer window in deals that analysts say involve more money than sense.

Last year, Chinese teams broke the Asian transfer record four times in an acquisition spree that outstripped even the mega-rich English Premier League.

And even before this year’s starting whistle on Sunday, Chinese sides have already begun offering record-breaking sums to lure top talent to the pitches of the world’s second-largest economy.

On Thursday, Shanghai Greenland Shenhua said they had signed Argentine striker Carlos Tevez to a two-year contract, with sources saying he would earn around 38 million euros ($40 million) a season, making him the world’s best-salaried footballer.

The announcement came quick on the heels of Shanghai SIPG’s swoop on Chelsea’s Oscar for a reported $73 million fee.

“Money in every area of the game is going through the roof,” said David Hornby, of the Shanghai-based Mailman Group.

“Transfer fees, rights fees, China tours and sponsorship are all increasing fast so there’s absolutely no reason to think this will slow down this year.”

Mark Dreyer of China Sports Insider said that last year “the world was taken by surprise”, but now “the element of surprise is gone. Everyone is expecting the same thing”.
While China is bad at soccer it is very good at buying talent.

“There is an appetite by the billionaire owners to outdo each other and continue to land more big name players,” said Marcus Luer, founder and chief executive of marketing agency Total Sports Asia.

This week’s headline signings typify the trend.

Whereas last year Chinese teams were mostly signing “unknown” Brazilians, this year “there’ve been rumours flying around for pretty much every big name player,” Dreyer said.

Even world superstar Cristiano Ronaldo’s name has been put in the mix, his agent told Sky Italia, saying that the four-time Ballon d’Or winner had been offered 100 million euros a year to hit the Chinese pitch.

“But money is not everything,” he said. “They can buy a lot of players, but then again, it is impossible to go for Ronaldo.”

The world-beating deals are part of a Chinese rush into football that seems to be driven more by political calculations than fiscal ones.

Next Story
LATEST STORIES
Just who is helping Kenyan athletes to dope?

Collapsed Federico, Berardelli cases means nation is far from establishing the cause of the substance abuse scourge

Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya to conduct thorough doping investigations, says CEO Rugut

The Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya (Adak) Chief Executive Officer, Japhter Rugut, says they have learned valuable lessons from the failed cases to prosecute Italian nationals, Federico Rosa and Claudio Berardelli.

Karoki officially exits track: World Half silver medallist now ready for marathon challenge

Japan-based athlete now targets good show in big city marathons after fourth-place finish at London World Championships.

Rugby: Six teams pull out of Dala Sevens

A week after Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) suspended the 2017 Safari Sevens that was scheduled to be staged in first week of November, six teams have pulled out of Dala Sevens that will begin today at Mamboleo Grounds over the same fears.

Cricket: Lions are hoping to successfully defend their title

Stray Lions set sights on Kanbis: Lions are hoping to successfully defend their title

More Stories
Will Ulinzi Stars delay Gor’s bash? The first leg tie between the two sides ended in a draw

K’Ogalo are just looking for a draw or win to seal it off

Tottenham boss Pochettino reveals concerns about Wanyama’s fitness

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino on Friday revealed that there was worse news, regarding the fitness of both Mousa Dembele and Victor Wanyama.

Official: Rule changes needed to make Champions League more competitive

A reform of administrative rules and a fairer distribution of funds is required if European football’s main club competitions are to become more competitive, a senior official said on Friday.

AFC Leopards beat Kariobangi Sharks 2-0 to reclaim GOtv Shield title

Two goals were enough to seal it off for Ingwe

Pogba on comeback trail for injury-hit Man Utd

Paul Pogba appears to be getting closer to a Manchester United comeback, but manager Jose Mourinho remains unsure as to when the France midfielder will be fit to return.

UEFA open disciplinary proceedings against Everton

European football’s governing body (UEFA) has opened disciplinary proceedings against Everton after one of the club’s fans tried to punch an Olympique Lyon player in a melee that broke out during Thursday’s Europa League game at Goodison Park.

Roma charged by UEFA over monkey chants in Chelsea match

AS Roma have been charged with racist behaviour by UEFA after a section of their supporters directed monkey chants at Chelsea defender Antonio Ruediger during their 3-3 Champions League draw in London on Wednesday.

Former Chelsea player set to join Inter Milan in January

Inter Milan have struck a deal to sign former Chelsea star Ramires, according to reports in Italy.

Dennis Oliech’s mother speaks out after son’s social media attack

Dennis Oliech’s mother opens up about son, says she’s been embarrassed and hurt

Manchester United star limps off after picking up knee injury

Marcus Rashford had to be taken off midway through the second-half with what Mourinho thought was cramp but the 19-year-old indicated he felt a problem with his knee.