National team has rich history in continental volleyball
|Kenya's Esther Wangechi celebrates getting a point against Mozambique.Photo/Dennis Okeyo|
Volleyball women is one of the two team sports, the others being sevens rugby and cricket, that have taken Kenya to the world stage in recent decades.
National women's team that was first formed for the purpose of 1987 All African Games held in Nairobi has established itself as a force to reckon with in the continent over the last two decades.
The pioneer players who set a strong foundation for Kenya's volleyball were Margaret Indakala, Ann Wekhomba, Lucy Fataki, Njeri Onyango, Grace Mulongo, Eunice Kagogo, Nereah Ouma, Emily Kusimba and Truphosa Lai.
This team of players finished runners-up behind Egypt at the 1987 All African Games.
Egypt was then a dominant force in continental volleyball, but Kenya turned formbooks upside down when the team upset Egypt to win 1991 All African Games title in Cairo.
Kenya, ever since the 1991 victory against Egypt, would then ascend to the throne of African volleyball to date.
The women's side has represented Africa more times at global stage than any other team on the continent.
The team has featured in great events like Olympics, FIVB World Championships and World Cup among others.
Every generation that takes over the baton keeps the fire burning in continental volleyball.
The current generation of players includes talented stars like setters Jane Wacu and Janet Wanja, middle blockers Bracksides Agala and Ruth Jepngetich, attackers Everlyne Makuto and Esther Wangeci.
Kenyan women have not only reigned supremacy at national team level but also at club stage as well.
Teams like the defunct Posta, Kenya Pipeline, Prisons and KCB have dominated African Club Championships.
- Players' union wants matches postponed in extreme heatFootball 1 day ago
- Kabarak Half Marathon on tomorrowAthletics 1 day ago
- KPA MD Manduku flags off Bandari, welcomes TwahaFootball 1 day ago
- Malkia Strikers play well against Brazil, but still go down in straight setsVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- FKF Elections: Nyamweya, ex-Vihiga Governor Akaranga join frayFootball 2 days ago
- Barcelona starlet Fati granted Spanish citizenshipFootball 17 hours ago
- Kenyans ready to battle high temperaturesAthletics 1 day ago