Cecafa Champions League in the pipeline
|Nicholas Musonye Secretary General of CECAFA during the launch of CECAFA Nile Basin Club Tournament to be held in sudan at Nyayo National Stadium on Monday 12th May, 2014. Photo/Jonah Onyango.|
The Council for East and Central Africa Football Associations are planning to start a regional Champions League, according to Secretary General Nicholas Musonye.
"We are impressed with the growth of the Kagame Cup. With the type of sponsorship coming on board and the rise in competition we are now planning to start our own Champions League. But that will mostly depend with the success of this year's edition," Musonye told FeverPitch.
With the preparations for the 2014 Kagame Cup slated for August 8-24 in Kigali, Musonye believes Rwanda Football Federation (Ferwafa) in conjunction with the Rwandese government are committed to hosting a successful tournament.
"The organisation and the planning of the tournament is perfect. We were with SuperSport officials during the draw ceremony in Kigali and everybody was pleased with what we saw after evaluating the ground and the TV set-up. As far as I am concerned, the preparations for the event are in top gear," said Musonye.
"For the first time in history, fourteen teams will be competing in the tournament and from the interest shown by the Rwandese sponsors, Rwanda government and locals we are looking forward to a successful tournament."
Kenyan Premier League champions Gor Mahia have been drawn in Pool B alongside last year's finalists APR (Rwanda), Djibouti's Telecom and Flambeau of Burundi.
Defending champions Vital'O of Burundi will face Allan Wanga's El Merreikh (Sudan), Police (Rwanda) and Benadeir (Somalia) in Pool C while Pool A has Rayon Sport (Rwanda), Yanga (Tanzania), Coffee (Ethiopia), Atlbara (South Sudan) and KMKM (Zanzibar).
Apart from the trophy, the winners of the tournament to be staged at Amahoro and Nyamirambo Stadium will get USD 30,000 in prize money with the first and second runners-up receiving USD 20,000 and USD 10,000 respectively.
- Why Malkia Strikers star Atuka loves Mesut OzilVolleyball and Handball 2 hours ago
- Mourinho facing the sack, Man United consider Pochettino as replacementFootball 4 days ago
- Arsenal squad vs Leicester City revealed as Emery makes changesFootball 3 weeks ago
- Why Ronaldo went home a sad man after loss to Man United – JuventusFootball 5 days ago
- Nakumatt tax Ushuru in battle for KPL slotFootball 4 weeks ago
- Manchester United squad vs Manchester City revealed Football 6 days ago
- Wenger sends powerful message to ArsenalFootball 6 hours ago