Kenyans fall to rivals at badminton championship
By Elizabeth Mburugu
Kenya: Most Kenyans failed to go past the first round of the men’s singles of the Kenya International Badminton Championships held at the Moi Sports Centre, Kasarani.
Not even Kenya’s top seed Victor Odera was able to stand the heat as he suffered a 21-19, 21-18 defeat to Ugandan Kennedy Wogute Abraham yesterday.
Championships second seed Joseph Matheri went down 21-15, 21-17 to Gideon Babalola of Nigeria.
Patrick Kinyua of Kenya was bundled out of the tournament by Nigerian Victor Makanju 21-12, 22-20.
Abner Orwaru moved to the second round beating fellow Kenyan Ligono Yakhama 22-20, 21-19.
Mit Patel and Karau Allan also qualified after beating their compatriots Peter Musembi and Paul Mutisya respectively.
Shown The Door
In the second round, Patel of Kenya fell to Nigerian Abash Eneojoh 21-12, 21-15. Victor Mukanju was shown the door out of the championship by countryman Ifraimu Bulus. Brian Ssuna of Uganda was superb as he continued with his winning ways beating fellow Ugandan Daniel Mihigo 21-14, 21-17.
The ladies singles saw Sheila Muthoni proceed to the second round through walkover as Nigerian Fatima Azeez failed to honour the match.
In another qualifier, Brenda Nabusindo of Uganda beat Khelin Shah of Kenya 21-9, 21-5 to book a place in the second round.
In the most thrilling match of the day, top seed of the championship Subhankar Dey of India beat Ibrahim Adamu of Nigeria in a tough three-setter of 22-20, 19-21 and 21-14 that would have gone either way.
“It was a tough match. I gave it my best and I’m very happy I won. I came to Kenya to win this championships,” he told FeverPitch. Subhankar was runners up in the last years championships held in Uganda.
“Nigerians are good players and they are my biggest worry in this tournament,” he added.
This tournament is in the future series category of the Badminton World Federation used in upgrading players the world.
- Three things at stake in Wednesday’s massive Manchester DerbyPremier League 1 month ago
- Football great Pele released from hospitalFootball 1 month ago
- Man Utd star Pogba told what he must do to force Real Madrid moveFootball 1 week ago
- Farah accused of 'punching and kicking' husband and wife by GebrselassieAthletics 1 month ago
- Manchester United appoint new coachFootball 2 weeks ago
- Mbappe sent off as PSG lose in French Cup finalFootball 4 weeks ago
- Floyd Mayweather relaxes in Hong Kong as Pacquiao inks new deal [photos]Boxing 1 month ago