Kenyans fall to rivals at badminton championship
By Elizabeth Mburugu
Kenya: Most Kenyans failed to go past the first round of the men’s singles of the Kenya International Badminton Championships held at the Moi Sports Centre, Kasarani.
Not even Kenya’s top seed Victor Odera was able to stand the heat as he suffered a 21-19, 21-18 defeat to Ugandan Kennedy Wogute Abraham yesterday.
Championships second seed Joseph Matheri went down 21-15, 21-17 to Gideon Babalola of Nigeria.
Patrick Kinyua of Kenya was bundled out of the tournament by Nigerian Victor Makanju 21-12, 22-20.
Abner Orwaru moved to the second round beating fellow Kenyan Ligono Yakhama 22-20, 21-19.
Mit Patel and Karau Allan also qualified after beating their compatriots Peter Musembi and Paul Mutisya respectively.
Shown The Door
In the second round, Patel of Kenya fell to Nigerian Abash Eneojoh 21-12, 21-15. Victor Mukanju was shown the door out of the championship by countryman Ifraimu Bulus. Brian Ssuna of Uganda was superb as he continued with his winning ways beating fellow Ugandan Daniel Mihigo 21-14, 21-17.
The ladies singles saw Sheila Muthoni proceed to the second round through walkover as Nigerian Fatima Azeez failed to honour the match.
In another qualifier, Brenda Nabusindo of Uganda beat Khelin Shah of Kenya 21-9, 21-5 to book a place in the second round.
In the most thrilling match of the day, top seed of the championship Subhankar Dey of India beat Ibrahim Adamu of Nigeria in a tough three-setter of 22-20, 19-21 and 21-14 that would have gone either way.
“It was a tough match. I gave it my best and I’m very happy I won. I came to Kenya to win this championships,” he told FeverPitch. Subhankar was runners up in the last years championships held in Uganda.
“Nigerians are good players and they are my biggest worry in this tournament,” he added.
This tournament is in the future series category of the Badminton World Federation used in upgrading players the world.
- Reason why Man Utd's transfer for Bruno Fernandes has been delayedFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago
- Man United First training: New boy Daniel James in action [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Griezmann shocks football world, delivers on threat Football 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Harambee Stars goalkeeper joins Tanzania’s Yanga FCFootball 1 month ago
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 1 month ago