× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Sh13b Kinangop wind power project to go on, insists Deputy President William Ruto

RIFT VALLEY
By JAMES MUNYEKI | March 2nd 2015

The proposed Sh13 billion power project in Nyandarua County will go on as planned, the Government has insisted.

The wind park power project in Kinangop, which is expected to generate 50 megawatts, has been embroiled in controversy with a number of residents opposing it.

Deputy President William Ruto said any person found to be inciting others to oppose the project would be prosecuted.

"Let me state it clear that the project must go on no matter what. We know that there are some people who are inciting residents to oppose it but I can assure you that they will not win this game. This is a promise that must be fulfilled," he said.

The deputy president said the Government fully supported the project and there was no way that residents would block it.

"I want to tell the people of Nyandarua County that this is a project that the national government fully supports. The wind has been provided by God freely and we wonder what some people would do with it if they do not want the project to go on," he said.

He was speaking at Pondo Primary School in Ndaragwa constituency during a funds drive to launch Aberdares Teachers Training Institute where he was hosted by Ndaragwa MP Waweru Nderitu.

He helped to raise Sh58 million and gave his own contribution of Sh1 million with President Uhuru Kenyatta contributing a similar amount.

Mr Ruto was reacting to concerns raised by local leaders led by Governor Daniel Waithaka, his deputy Waithaka Mwangi and MPs Wanjiku Muhia and Stephen Mburu who had called for his intervention.

Last week, residents protested against the project, an incident that saw one person killed after he was shot by the police.

Mr Mburu noted that the leaders had consulted experts and found it wise to support it despite their earlier stand to oppose it.

Share this story
KCSE results to be released Tuesday
More than 450,000 candidates who sat last year's Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examinations will receive their results Tuesday.
Opening Ceremony: Kenya takes her pride of place as 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games begin
Team Kenya Paralympics strolled majestically into the Tokyo Olympic Stadium led by captain Rodgers Kiprop and Powerlifter Hellen Wawira for the Openin

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

;
Feedback