Kenya to name Konza development authority boss soon
By Nicholas Waitathu
| January 28th 2015
NAIROBI: The Government will name a new chief executive officer in March to head the Konza Technopolis Development Authority.
The authority's board of directors advertised the post last November after the Information ministry demanded a new CEO hired according to Government procurement procedures.
Board chairman John Ngumi said outgoing CEO Catherine Adeya-Weya declined to apply for the post even after serving for two years in an acting capacity. Ms Adeya has been in office since January 2013.
"I declined to apply for the job so I can have time to attend to personal affairs," said Ms Adeya.
Mr Ngumi said, "The ministry authorised us to advertise the position according to the law. I have never received a complaint from Adeya of harassment or frustration by some board members. But I can confirm that working with the ministry has been tough for her."
Addressing the Press in a Nairobi hotel Tuesday, Ngumi confirmed that last week the board concluded the interviews and shortlisted three candidates whose names were handed over to Information Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang'i. Ngumi declined to reveal the candidates' names.
For the 2014-2015 financial year, the authority had a recurrent budget of Sh40.5 million and a development budget of Sh900 million.
"We have applied for an additional Sh40 million to enable us hire high-calibre personnel to drive the project," Ngumi said.
Ngumi praised Adeya for her instrumental role in initialising infrastructure such as roads and electricity.
"Her personal oversight and dedication to the Konza Techno City project has left an indelible mark on the authority," said the chairman.
Konza Techno City is considered an integral part of Vision 2030 as it seeks to leverage and expand technology and other knowledge-based sectors, as well as contribute at least Sh10 billion to the Gross Domestic Product.
Ngumi said since inception, the authority has registered several milestones including completion and implementation of a detailed master plan for the first phase and obtaining approval of an environmental assessment from the National Environment Management Authority.
Row brews over funds reallocationA row is brewing between the county's executive arm and the assembly following a move to reallocate over Sh300 million from the former to the latter.
Why Kenyan boxers are winning medals once againThe BFK led by President Anthony ‘Jamal’ Ombok was elected into the office in 2019 and has since...
We’re broke, Moi University now admits
- We are implementing CBC to keep our jobs, teachers tell Magoha
By James Omoro
- Waiguru dumps Uhuru party for DP Ruto’s UDA
- Contractor set to open closed sections under construction on Mombasa Road
- Mbowe in Tanzania's court
- Nakuru doctor suspected of killing his two children dies in hospital