How to counter carjackers
| Jun 25th 2014 | 1 min read
Carjacking in Nairobi city and other towns has become almost the norm, going by several media reports.
Some of the most notorious routes in the city are Ngong and Jogoo roads, where thugs mostly target buses and matatus. In posh estates, the thugs tactically hang around gates before striking.
Despite efforts by the authorities to deal with carjackers, it is also important that passengers and motorists take precautions to stay safe.
Here are a few guidelines to ensure that you are safe on the road:
1. If you notice that you are being followed, never lead the person behind you towards the direction of your home. Either stop at a nearby petrol station or police station.
2. Leave ample manoeuvering space between your vehicle and the one in front of you; this is important in case of an emergency ahead.
3. If a suspicious person approaches and stops you, do not roll down your windows. Drive away if the person is not a uniformed traffic police officer.
4. When you drive through areas containing stoplights, stop signs or anything that reduces your driving speed, keep your windows up and doors locked.
5. Sometimes carjackers harass drivers on the road in an effort to force them to alight and argue with them. If this happens, depending on the time of the day and area you are in, do not stop.
Elaborate plans to arrest corrupt police officers yield nothingOver the years, corruption has become so rampant on Kenyan roads that ordinary wananchi equate the sight of traffic police officers stopping vehicles on the highways to bribery.
When Njonjo almost resigned over coffee smugglersKnown as the era of black gold, it began in 1976 when Ugandan farmers decided to sell their coffee in the private market.
Mirema Drive shooting: Suspect in Samuel Mugota's murder surrenders
- Servers were opened, 'reveals' IEBC commissioner Justus Nyangaya
By Mate Tongola
- Come clean on your deal with Kingi, UDA leaders urge Ruto
By Patrick Beja
- Developing story: IEBC meets presidential aspirants
- Contractor to restore old lanes on Mombasa Road
- Kalonzo under pressure to return to Azimio fold