Kilifi Governor Amason Kingi held his first Cabinet meeting via video link on Tuesday and approved setting up of Sh844 million emergency fund to fight Covid-19.
He said the funds raised towards County Emergency Covid-19 Social Relief Programme would be mobilised from both the county government and private sector.
Mr Kingi said his team had already sent out appeals to well-wishers and non-government actors to partner with the county government in the fight against the pandemic.
The meeting comes at a time when nearly all senior county officials are on self-quarantine after they mingled with Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi, who tested positive for Covid-19.
- 1 400 more test Covid-19 positive as counties receive vaccine
- 2 Eve D’Souza narrates Covid-19 jab experience
- 3 Stanbic after-tax profit drops to Sh5.2 billion
- 4 Dr Amoth first public officer to get Covid-19 vaccine
The entire Cabinet has been working from home for the last two weeks.
Kingi said his Cabinet had managed to review its 2019/2020 budget with a view of identifying resources that could be channelled to the programme.
“A total of Sh220,000,000 from the county government has been identified from our 2019/2020 budget and will be utilised towards the initial financing and implementation of this programme,” he said, adding that the reviewed budget estimates will be sent to the county assembly for approval as per the law.
Once approved, Kingi said the first beneficiaries would be the most vulnerable families, which would be provided with food rations.
“The elderly, orphans and those living with disabilities who had been identified earlier and who have been receiving cash transfers under the Kilifi County cash transfer programme will continue with the programme uninterrupted,” he added.