Family demands second post-mortem of slain principal

Lydia Onyoni served as the principal of Rangenyo Girls' High School for seven years. [Sammy Omingo, Standard]

The death of Rangenyo Principal has elicited fresh reactions from the family as his father called for a second post-mortem on her body.

The late Lydia Onyoni was found semi-conscious in her School house where she lived alone.

The first post-mortem whose report has not been made public by the Police was conducted about eight days ago by government pathologists based in Kisii, but according to the father Caius Onyoni, it was not conclusive and there must have been an element of foul play.

"I had to source for a set of other independent pathologists from Nairobi to carry out the post-mortem so as I understand fully what killed my daughter. I am convinced that the first report was unsatisfactory and inconclusive about her death," the father told The Standard on phone.

According to the father to the late Principal, in case the report of the experts he brought in from Nairobi differed with that which was earlier filed by the police and the Kisii-based pathologists, then he will be forced to stop the burial that is planned for Friday at her matrimonial home in Kiamokama, Masaba South, Kisii County.

Police, in an earlier report had said the crime scene in the principal's house had been badly interfered with, making it difficult for investigators to sum up clues into the incident.

"The scene had been interfered with and it was very difficult to piece together any meaningful clues into the state of affairs," Nyamira Police Commander Kimani Mitugo said.

According to the Police Commander, those who arrived at the scene to rescue the principal had undressed her and changed garments; washed her garments, and evacuated such crucial evidence at the scene.

"We were called in at a time when such interference had already been done and it would be such hard to make clear conclusions," Mitugo said.

Lydia's father-in-law Mr Jackson Ongori told investigators to do a thorough job and if it was foul play, it be dealt with.

Police said Onyoni,47, was found under her bed in a state of incontinence before she was rescued and rushed to hospital for emergency treatment.

Premium Storm over plan to privatise ports facilities
PSV trader laments on prices and unfair competition on transport business
Kenyan exports to Netherlands double on stronger trade ties
By Titus Too 16 hrs ago
Premium Don't expect cheap ugali because of high fuel prices, farmers warn