Ports conference planned for Dar es Salaam cancelled
By Philip Mwakio | January 21st 2016
MOMBASA: The Port Management Association of Eastern and Southern Africa (PMAESA) has cancelled its planned annual conference, which was to be held in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
This follows the sacking of Tanzania Ports Authority (TPA) managers by President John Magufuli. The conference was scheduled for February 15-17.
A statement released by PMAESA Communications Officer George Sunguh said that the cancellation was also as a result of Mr Magufuli's resolve to dissolve the entire TPA board.
"The Secretariat is now focusing on the 2016 Conference to be held in Khartoum, Sudan in the month of November," he said.
In the meantime, the PMAESA council, board and technical committee meetings, which are normally held together with the conference will be rescheduled to a different venue and date to be announced later.
The board meeting for the Cruise Indian Ocean Association will also be held alongside the PMAESA council meeting.
Digital lenders cut credit to Kenyans after CBK directive
- Demand for electricity hits record high
- Why you should register your small business with government
- Fuel prices may rise as oil import bill doubles in nine months
- President Uhuru Kenyatta: How I plan to reduce fuel prices
SHIPPING & LOGISTICS
- CBK will not cap interest rates charged by digital lenders