Expanded Manda airport set for reopening after construction of terminal
By MKALA MWAGHESHA | March 26th 2015
The Sh160 million Manda Airport in Lamu is set to open soon with local airlines already showing interest in flying there.
The two-kilometre runway is undergoing final work and will be ready in April, with the terminal building already opened and ready to welcome passengers.
“After construction, the newly-expanded airport will see a rapid rise in passenger numbers and aircraft movements, which last year stood at nearly 35,000 passengers and about 3,500 landings and take-offs combined,” said Mohamed Lipi, Lamu Airport manager.
Manda Airport is part of the Lapsett project, which will see a railway line and a highway linking Lamu Port to both Juba and Addis Ababa constructed.
Islands where smuggling insulates Kenyans from inflation
SHIPPING & LOGISTICS
- Matatus in Nairobi to pay more in seasonal ticket fees from Saturday
- What it takes to own a decent house at minimal cost and time
- MPs reject Treasury’s plan for new fund to repay costly loans
- How speculation and illegal money have heated up property prices
By Peter Theuri
- How retired couple built a business empire in a Siaya village