Violent robbery suspect caught on camera detained for 14 days

Peter Waithaka.He was arrested at his hideout in Kaloleni-Makongeni Estate in Nairobi on Friday. [Collins Kweyu, Standard]

A former convict allegedly captured on security camera violently robbing a tourist has been detained for two weeks to allow the police complete investigations.

Milimani Senior Principal Magistrate Bernard Ochoi allowed the police to detain Peter Waithaka alias Gikuyu to compile the numerous reports of robbery with violence allegedly committed by the suspect.

"There are compelling reasons to warrant detaining the suspect considering the multiplicity of complaints of his involvement in several robbery incidents and the need to compile the evidence before formally charging him," ruled Ochoi.

Waithaka was arrested at his hideout in Kaloleni-Makongeni Estate in Nairobi on Friday after CCTV footage showed him attacking and robbing a tourist along Ngong Road.

The victim was shot in the chest and died while undergoing treatment at a Nairobi hospital.

The prosecution said that he previously served a six-year jail sentence for another robbery.

"The police have not recovered the pistol he used in committing the robbery. He is still helping the police to recover the firearm and if released, he will interfere with the evidence that is yet to be recovered," said the prosecution.

Jacob Ndunda, the investigating officer, swore that they arrested the suspect in connection with robbery with violence and murder incidents by gun-totting criminals on motorbikes who have been terrorising Nairobi residents.

He said they have not had enough time to complete investigations including subjecting him to Cyber Crimes Unit for analysis to confirm if he was coordinating his alleged gang members.

"We suspect that he is the leader of the gang which has been terrorising people while riding motorbikes. We want time to inspect his phone and identify his gang members who might be hiding following his arrest," said Ndunda.

He stated that after arresting Waithaka, the officers from Capitol Hill police station received numerous complaints from other stations where the suspect had been mentioned and identified by robbery with violence victims.

Waithaka claimed that at the time of his arrest, he had Sh381,788 in dollars and asked the magistrate to order the police to refund his money.

The magistrate however directed the officer commanding Capitol Police Station to investigate the claims if the suspect had the money and for Waithaka to provide evidence that he had the money.

He directed that the case be mentioned on January 3 next year for further directions.

High alcohol taxes will save youth from potential harm
Governors reject Treasury's plan to slash budget by Sh5bn
Premium Kenya, Uganda rivalry rears ugly head with new milk war
Nairobi among underserved aviation routes in Africa - report