The declaration of Narok governorship results has now been moved to the National Tallying entre at the Bomas of Kenya, owing to unrest in the county.
The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) Narok County Returning Officer in a statement Sunday, August 14, said it would be impossible to announce the results at the Narok County tallying centre situated at Maasai Mara University.
“Due to the breach of peace at the County tallying centre, it will be impossible to continue with a declaration of the county governor election result at the tallying centre,” Namulungu said.
The tallying of governorship results was suspended earlier on Sunday.
Narok County Commissioner Issac Masinde, speaking to KTN News, blamed the two leading governor candidates for causing tension in the county.
Masinde said that the voting process started and ended well, up until the tallying exercise when supporters of one candidate began causing chaos at the centre, alleging favoritism over the other candidate.
“There was a lot of tension in town with one candidate wanting to be issued with the certificate yet results were not officially announced,” Masinde said.
He further appealed to IEBC chair Wafula Chebukati to take up the issue so that normalcy resumes in the county.