The government has announced the extension of a scholarship programme to more 9,000 students.
Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha said the beneficiaries will be sponsored fully for four years of secondary education.
The programme was launched in 2019 and so far, 18,000 needy candidates have benefitted.
“The programme has enabled the poor but intelligent students who could not access secondary education because officials would sell their positions to get an education. This programme will benefit the children and their families,” said Prof Magoha.
Magoha termed Elimu Scholarship Programme as one of the milestones of the education sector under Jubilee government and a boost in the 100 per cent transition policy.
The scholarships are funded by the Ministry of Education with support from the World Bank and are implemented through the Equity Group Foundation.
“I will be in the selection process to ensure that it’s the desperate children who get the scholarships,” said the CS.
Since the inauguration of the scholarship programme, funded through the Secondary Education Quality Improvement Project (SEQIP), selection of the eligible candidates is conducted in 110 targeted sub-counties and fifteen urban centres.
The ministry set the cut-off mark for the beneficiaries at 280 and above except for marginalised communities and children with disabilities. Initially, the ministry used Sh3 billion to support the 2019 and 2020 KCPE candidates.
“The beneficiaries of the scholarships could not have gone to the best national schools without the support of the Elimu Scholarships.
“I wish to appeal to the President to provide money this year to cover the 9,000 scholarships to support our needy children,” said Prof Magoha on Monday.