× Business BUSINESS MOTORING SHIPPING & LOGISTICS DR PESA FINANCIAL STANDARD Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Fact Check Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Police yet to trace abducted schoolboy as thugs demand Sh1m

By | July 2nd 2009
By | July 2nd 2009

By Cyrus Ombati

Police are yet to ascertain the whereabouts of a schoolboy abducted in a daring attack in Saika estate, Nairobi.

Officers have been mobilised to track down Eugene Ochieng, 15, who was abducted on Tuesday morning on his way to school.

The Form Two student was with his father and cousin when thugs armed with AK 47 rifles attacked them.

The boy is a student at St Teresa’s School in Nairobi.

Yesterday, police said they were yet to make any headway.

"We are trying to use all means to get the boy unhurt," said an officer.

Police have spoken with the boy’s father Nelson Ochieng to get information on the criminals. Mr Ochieng said he did not know the attackers.

The kidnappers are threatening to harm the boy if his family fails to give out a ransom of Sh1 million.

Shot and wounded

A motorist, who witnessed the crime and tried to intervene, was shot and seriously wounded.

The motorist is admitted to hospital and doctors say he is out of danger.

After abducting the boy, the thugs reportedly drove to Dandora estate where they abandoned the car and escaped.

Police statistics show up to four such cases are reported weekly and abductors demand between Sh100,000 and Sh4 million.

Kayole OCPD Shadrack Maithya said they were yet to make any arrest. "We are trying to see how he can be rescued," he said.

The parents of the boy spent the better part of the day at Kayole Police Station following the operations to trace their son.

The incident came days after police rescued a banker from kidnappers, who were demanding Sh4 million from his family.

Share this story
Muthaura flown out to SA due to heart ailment
A smiling Head of Civil Service Francis Muthaura, flashing thumbs up as he was wheeled to a chartered plane, was a reassuring image that he was on the road to recovery as he was airlifted to South Africa.
CS Najib Balala summoned over stalled project
There have been reports of cut-throat competition between agencies under the Ministry of Tourism.