Elderly flee Kasigau for fear of attack
The Counties
By
Renson Mnyamwezi
| Dec 12, 2014
|
|
Several elderly people have been forced to leave Kasigau location to escape the wrath of a gang of youths purporting to weed out witches in the area.
Human Rights groups in the county say scores of people have been brutally killed by the hit squad dubbed Chironda wa Mabulu, which means 'a sore with worms' in the Duruma dialect.
Speaking to The Standard, Taita Taveta Human Rights Watch Chairman Haji Mwakio said a recent study they conducted found that in the past four years, 18 people had been killed by the gang that is being hired by some villagers to carry out the executions.
"The process of killing appears to follow a common pattern. It starts with anonymous warning letters sent to the suspected wizards warning them of impending doom and this is then followed by the killings," he said.
Villagers interviewed said the victims were always at a loss about what to do because they did not know their enemies, which makes escape impossible.
READ MORE
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
German 'chemical town' fears impact of industrial decline
AI boom raises pressure for clean energy transition
How to pick the right insurance cover for your car
Push for cryptocurrency regulation gathers pace
How high-stakes home ownership dreams are shattered by city cartels
"There is a fee paid to the gang before they carry out the murders. The group works in collaboration with the relatives of those they accuse of practising witchcraft," the villagers said.
Mr Mwakio, who visited the affected area yesterday, said he was concerned that police appeared unable to unravel the circumstances in which the deaths were being carried out despite his organisation sharing vital information with law enforcement officers.
No help
He said the deadly gang has been operating in the area with the full knowledge of government officials but no action had been taken against them.
In a recent bizarre incident, two elderly men were brutally murdered by the group on allegations of being witches in Kasigau and Mbololo locations of Voi district.
County Commissioner Oningoi ole Sosio and Voi OCPD Joshua Lutukai termed the incidents unfortunate, warning that action would be taken against those found to be perpetrating the killings.
"We will thoroughly investigate these murders and take action against those involved," the county commissioner warned.
The OCPD said the serial killings had not been reported to the police.
He challenged the local community to work with the police by volunteering information that could lead to the arrest and eventual prosecution of those committing the murders.
Kasigau Chief Johana Mwambuso said there had been many bizarre incidents in the past where the elderly, especially men, were found murdered, with deep cuts on their bodies.
"These killers appear to strike suddenly and once done, they vanish quickly, leaving a trail of destruction and grief in their wake," he said.